Wednesday, September 26, 2012

36... Again

This January I was going through to figure out how old my family would be turning during the coming year.  Daniel-39, Mark-12, Jane-2, Paul-11, Me-36, Seth-8.  Sometime after that I somehow thought that I was already 36. ( think that it was when I put together my list of things that I wanted to accomplish before I turned 40. So all year long I thought that I was 36 years old already.  In August I did the math and figured out that I was only 35.  What?  I was cheated out of being 35! 

This past Sunday I officially turned 36. Instead of feeling cheated and having a glass half empty thing going on, I am going to be glad that I get to be 36 for another year! I'm not sure why I have such a hard time remembering how old I am.  It is kind of weird. 



I wanted to go to the Greek restaurant in the City Creek Mall food court for my birthday dinner, so we went up there and everyone got dinner from a different restaurant.  Daniel had Chinese, I had Greek, Mark had American? (he had a foot-long sub sandwich), Paul had Italian, Seth had Mexican and Jane ate off of all of our plates!  We had a great time exploring the mall and spending time together.  Jane and Paul could not get enough of the escalators!  When we were by the water fountains, we saw Master Lee from Tae Kwon Do.  It took me a minute to recognize him because he was in street clothes instead of his uniform! 

On my actual birthday, Daniel and I made a cake together.  We made a Chocolate Silk Torte.  It takes a while to make, but it is one of my favorite cakes.  It is rich, moist and has a velvety texture. I don't make it very often because it is so rich (and I eat way too much of it!).

We had a Thai barbecue for dinner that night.  My brother, Dan, joined us for dinner.  The weather was beautiful and if we hadn't been joined by so many flies, it would have been nice to sit out there a little longer!  The nice thing about having Dan over was that he took the last slice of cake so that I wouldn't have to.  What a nice brother- only thinking of his sister! 

Daniel gave me the piano books that accompany his cello lesson books.  It has been a lot of fun to play music together.  I am super impressed with how well he is doing with playing the cello.  I really like that we have something that we can do together that we both enjoy.

On Saturday night we went to a neighborhood chili cook off.  My friend, Shelley, was talking with Mark and Paul and asked them if they got me anything for my birthday.  They told her that they hadn't, so she suggested that they make a coupon book for me.  I don't think that they quite understood the concept behind her suggestion because they were confused as to why I would want a coupon from them for $1 off their lawn mowing fee! 

It feels great to (finally) be 36!

5 comments:

  1. What is it with being 35? I did the same thing last week. I couldn't remember how old I was (and I was too lazy to do the math) so I just said 36. I guess there will come a time when we are just 30-somethings, right? Happy birthday Sherron! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, as always. We love the photos - and it sounds like a lovely birthday! Ha ha, that Dan helped you out with eating the cake--

    I really like what you say about you and Daniel and music. Awesome!! Hearts, and Happy Birthday again. Love you guys -

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and guess what?! I'm 30! Should be a pretty even, easy number to remember, right? I always get a reminder in April because when BJ turns a new year, I know I will be turning that same year in December. So really, it shouldn't be that difficult...
    Happy Birthday, I'm glad you had a great one! The cake sounds delish!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 35...I think. It's either that or 36. It's official. 35 is the year we lose our minds!!! Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete