Seth is 8 years old today! He had a fun birthday party last Saturday. He wanted it to be a science themed party, but he wanted the details (including his gift) to be a surprise! He said that he wanted a surprise, but not a girl toy. It was a little bit frustrating trying to figure out what he wanted, but I am glad that he feels content with what he has and doesn't feel like he NEEDS something.
The weather was beautiful for a November in Utah until the day before his party. It snowed all day long and Saturday was a super cold day (high of 34 degrees!) We were going to do a Mentos/Diet Cola bomb, but it was way too cold and snowy to venture outside for the party. (We could have done it, but I didn't want to deal with all of the wet shoes in the house afterward!)
I haven't done a themed party in a long time. I know that the kids really just don't understand the amount of work that goes into the decorations and events, but it was good for me to do at least one fun party for Seth before he gets too old for themes!
For the lab coats: I bought white t-shirts and cut them down the front (size boys xl) no sew and simple!
Name tags: I wrote "Dr. Seth" and on the bottom it said, "Now let us pause for a moment of science"
Lab glasses: sunglasses from the party department at Walmart. I punched out the lenses, cut off the silly stickers on the sides and wrapped tape around the middle.
I didn't get a picture of the decontamination station, but I cut two plastic table cloths into long strips and hung them on the ceiling next to the bathroom.
| The first thing we did was make pizzas. Each scientist got to put on his own toppings. |
| Then they helped me blow up some balloons with vinegar and baking soda. We used the vinegar/baking soda trick again with food coloring on spoons to help determine groups for the rest of the party. |
| When the bubbles pop the mist that was trapped in the bubble is left and it is a lot of fun! |
| It was even "cool" enough for the big boys to play with it! |
| Jane had a blast running around to the different stations. Her favorite was the dry ice bubbles! |
| We had a container with dry ice, water and soap. It produced tiny bubbles that they could play with. It was the same concept as the big bubble machine, but on smaller (and not as impressive) scale! |
| You can see the yellow and green decontamination station in the upper left side of this picture! |
| Jane playing with the water balls in a test tube. |
| Seth Paul and Mark playing with the tornado machine that was a birthday gift from Carson. I decided to give Seth a plasma ball, he was surprised and loves it! |
| Having Daniel take over kitchen duties was a ton of help! This isn't the best picture of him, but I wanted to show that he was there! Daniel even wore the glasses! |
The party was a great success!
Happy birthday Seth! I'm glad that you had such a fun day!
Now I need to figure out what to surprise him with for Christmas!
That looks like a way fun party - Happy Birthday to Seth!!!
ReplyDeleteThat was really a great idea for a birthday party! It was so much fun and you did an awesome job finding fun things for a house full of boys, (and one very cute little girl), to do. Thanks for having us over! And I am glad Seth likes the tornado machine, I will show Carson the pictures!
ReplyDelete