I've made a goal to try one new recipe a week. I have used Pinterest as my inspiration source, so I will never run out of options to try! I thought that I'd keep track of what I've made here on my blog. I most likely will not be posting pictures of the food because I am not great at photographing food. I don't think that I'd remember to take the picture as we are all sitting down to eat anyhow! Here is a rundown of the recipes I've made so far this month:
Roasted Carrots
http://voraciousvander.com/2011/12/05/the-best-way-to-cook-zucchini-and-carrots/
We had a big bag of carrots that we needed to use up, so I tried roasting them and I loved them. They really do need to be eaten right away, so plan on pulling them out of the oven right before sitting down to eat. The carrots were ready to eat 10 minutes before the rest of the dinner was ready and I snacked on them while I finished the dinner. I ate nearly all of the carrots and the last few were cold and not so yummy. I'll need to make these again so that my family can try them!
Blackened Chicken and Quinoa with Cilantro and Lime
http://www.sarcasticcooking.com/2012/03/15/blackened-chicken-and-cilantro-lime-quinoa/
I made the chicken per the directions and we loved it. The chicken was moist and had a good kick to it. The cooking spices did cause everyone to cough a bit- I opened a window and ran a fan the next time I made this. We don't have a vent above our stove.
The quinoa was okay. Not my favorite. It took forever for the broth to cook out. I put in a bit too much lime juice (Daniel loved it and I really didn't!). I didn't have any Greek yogurt, so we just used chopped up avocados.
I made this meal again last night and I used rice instead of quinoa. We served it with broccoli and it went over quite well. This is definately a keeper.
Cinnamon Churro Chex Mix
http://zitzmanfam.blogspot.com/2012/03/cinnamon-churro-chex-mix.html
Before going gluten-free, I used to get those big churros at Costco a lot. I really like cinnamon and these were delightful. I loved how crunchy the outsides were and how soft the insides were. I prefered a churro over a donut anytime. I still remember licking the cinnamon sugar off of the corners of my lips after eating the last bite. This Chex mix looked and sounded promising. I even broke my no-dairy rule for this treat as the cinnamon chips have dairy in them (but oddly enough, no cinnamon). The chips tasted more like how I remember butterscotch tasting.
The boys really liked the mix, but I did not. It wasn't close enough to a churro to deserve the name in the title. This recipe is not a keeper for me. I made up a batch of regular Muddy Buddies to eat instead. (When making Muddy Buddies to be dairy-free, I do not use butter/margarine at all- I put in more peanut butter instead!)
Great idea - thanks! The links work well. :-)
ReplyDelete