Mark Orion Taylor
When we first found out that I was pregnant, we immediately figured
out a girls name and really struggled to come up with a boys name. Daniel was
working with two men through his church calling named Mark (Orrulian and Wolf) whom
we both admired. I also grew up with a
guy named Mark and I really respected him.
Since it fit all of our criteria, we decided on the name Mark.
Mark's middle name is Orion.
It is indirectly named after Daniel's best friend growing up, Jonathan
Merrell. Daniel and Jonathan were roommates at BYU. Their first September there, Jonathan went
back to Vernal to take a friend to the Homecoming dance. They went rock climbing during an activity where
he fell and hurt his head. He died the
next day due to the injuries. Daniel
found himself alone for the first time in his life (when you grow up in a large
family like his, being alone is a rare thing!) He worked on campus during an
early morning shift and when he was walking outside he would look up into the
sky and see the constellation Orion and he started 'talking' to him as his way of
processing the grief of losing Jonathan.
Because of this, Daniel has an attachment to Orion. We thought that using
Orion as a middle name would be a great tribute to Jonathan and to Daniel's
healing process.
He was a very good baby.
He was sleeping through the night by 3 months. Because he was my first child, I
was worried about him being used to complete silence when sleeping and I didn't
want that, so I would do the vacuuming when he was sleeping and didn't focus on
keeping absolutely quiet when he napped. In the apartment we were living in they
came to do a smoke detector test and he was asleep right below the detector.
The manager was worried about setting it off, but I told her to go ahead and he
didn't even flinch when it went off!
Even though he was a good
sleeper as a baby, he wasn't a good sleeper as a toddler. Naptimes were
necessary, but difficult. Bedtime was frustrating. I know now that we should have
done things differently, but we got things figured out. Like Daniel, Mark is a night
owl and does not require a lot of sleep to function well.
Mark has shown from a very young age that he is a smart kid. He picked up on patterns and shapes very
quickly. He only had to ride his bike
down the stairs once before figuring out that he wasn't going to do that
again! A lot of things come rather naturally
to Mark. He just seems to understand
things quite readily. He does get rather impatient with things that require practice
though. I noticed this when he was first
learning how to walk. As my first child,
I had expectations of sitting on the floor across from Daniel and having Mark
toddle back and forth between us as he learned how to walk. Mark did not provide that event for us ever! He would scoot along the furniture and then
one day he just started to walk. He was
14 months old when he walked unassisted. The main reason that I remember how
old he was is because I was 8 months pregnant with Paul at that point and I was
relieved to not have to carry him anymore!
![]() |
| Mark meets Paul for the first time |
He still doesn't like to practice things, so learning to
play the piano has been a struggle for him.
He is learning that just having the knowledge of something isn't enough-
you still have to work for a lot of things once you understand them and the only
way that muscle memory can develop is through practice. I'm proud of him for sticking
with piano lessons even though it is uncomfortable.
Even though Mark gets bored easily in school, he enjoys learning things. He has been part of the Science Olympiad team for the last two years. That club meets after school twice a week and he likes it! It is great to see him push himself and get involved in things that he enjoys.
Mark has a very tender heart. Sometimes I forget that he does because he
doesn't exhibit his tender side to his brothers much and since most of the
interactions I see him in are with his brothers, I think that he isn't compassionate. Mark has always like to give hugs. After Paul
was born I went through a very dark episode of postpartum depression. I would
sit on the couch and try to keep things together. Mark would come and sit on my lap and give me
a big hug and then ask if I felt better.
There is a group of boys who hang out at our house quite
often. Mark is the leader of the
group. When they play Dungeons and Dragons
(pen and paper version), he is the Dungeon Master and relishes that role! Mark is very creative, so it is fun to listen
to the story lines that he comes up with.
They are great group of kids and I'm glad that he has good friends to
hang out with. Mark is very clever and he has a great sense of humor. He appreciates corny jokes, which is good because those are the only ones I know!
We are both learning together how to be our best
selves. I've never been a parent of a
teenager before and he has never been a teenager before so we sometimes have to
take things a day at a time to figure out what works for us and what doesn't. It is difficult to let him take more responsibility
for his life, but I know that it is a really important step toward becoming an
independent adult, so I'm willing to work with him to teach him what he needs to
do.
He is growing up before my eyes and I still am in shock that
he isn't a little kid anymore. He grew 4
inches and gained 20 pounds in one year and it has taken my brain a while to
catch up to looking at this tall boy with a feathery mustache and realize that
he is my Mark. I am so glad that I get the opportunity to be Mark's mom!



.jpg)
.jpg)
Sigh. This is a great biography- I'm misty-eyed and with a huge smile! Les and I are totally glad we have been able to visit with Mark the last two Decembers. We agree, he is growing up so fast! And we agree about his character. It is one of the things we remark on after visiting... and the Dec 2014 visit included Paul, so we saw the brothers together. All good. Thank you Sherron for posting this- we look forward to the others. We are so happy that you and Daniel are our family!!! And all of your children!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love this!
ReplyDelete