This summer we had a few artists come to our door to sell paintings. Benjamin and Nathaniel are from Israel and they came to America with their art buddies to sell their work. We bought some paintings a few years ago when their group came around. Daniel and I have been really impressed with the paintings and the energy of the young artists selling their work.
They bring in a huge roll of painted canvases from all different artists in the group and show them to us. If we like it, they pull it aside. Benjamin showed us a painting and we loved it. He asked us if we really liked it and after we confirmed that it was one of our favorites, he told us that he painted it! It was fun to see his excitement at our praise for the work. We bought this painting and one more big one.
We didn't have the ones framed from the previous year, so we had them stretch and frame all of the canvases that we had. It is amazing how the frame can make the picture come alive. The guy who normally does the stretching and framing wasn't available to do the work, so Benjamin came over and did it. Here are a few pictures of him stretching the frame. I have been waiting to post a picture of it on our wall, but I don't have the accessories done to my satisfaction below the painting, so I thought that I'd just post what I have because my decorating is just not going to be done anytime soon.
This painting is my favorite of all of the paintings we bought. It is very serene and calming. I love the colors and the texture. The picture doesn't do justice to the painting. It was really neat to visit with Benjamin while he was here. It turns out that his last name is Benjamin and I can't remember his first name, but it isn't an easy name for American's to pronounce, so he just goes by his last name.
Both times this group has come to our door, they are amazed when they hear my name. The former Prime Minister of Israel's name was Sharon (they pronounce the 'a' with an 'uh' sound so it is Sha-ron, so it's not like Americans would say the name Sharon like share-un) When they say my name they would say the 'er' like 'uh' instead of 'ur' and they would be so excited that my name is like their Prime Ministers! It makes a wonderful jump start for conversations about politics in Israel!
No comments:
Post a Comment