Saturday, December 11, 2010

Half of a Year

Jane is 6 months old already.  It has taken me so long to sit down to write this post that she is closer to 7 months now and I cannot believe it. She had her 6 month well-baby check up last Tuesday.  She weighs 16.76 pounds and is 26.5 inches.  That means that she has doubled her birth weight and grown 6 inches since she was born.

I included this picture for two reasons; the hair and the thighs.  Don't you love the 'mohawk' she has?  The little amount of hair that she has stands straight up on the top of her head.  The rest of it lays down flat. Her thighs are thinning out a bit, but they are still fun to squoosh!  
 
Jane is sitting up by herself and is rolling over.  Both of these accomplishments happened the same week (about 2 weeks ago).  She has been struggling taking naps now because she starts rolling over and gets stuck in the corner of her crib.  For some reason she won't roll over from her stomach to her back when she is in the crib, so she gets mad and cries until we 'save' her.  What a silly girl!  She sure does love playing in the bath tub, but doesn't like rolling over in the tub. 

She is more aware of the things around her, which means that she is grabbing everything and anything that she can get her hands on.  Of course once she gets something in her hand it goes straight into her mouth.  The boys find that to be hilarious!  They finally understand what I have been telling them for months about needing to put their Lego's and other toys away instead of leaving them on the floor.  Just wait until she can crawl and we will need to be super serious about putting the toys away.  Sigh. 

My glasses are no longer safe, as Jane has realized that they are not part of me, but that they are removable.  She really likes to grab at them when I am in the living room.  I think that it is because she can see the lights from the Christmas tree reflecting on the lenses. 

The boys have really enjoyed playing with Jane now that she is more interactive.  They have a lot of fun with her.  I am not as nervous with them holding her now that she can sit up.  (okay, I still hold my breath a bit when Seth picks her up, but he doesn't do it often and he is careful).

The other day Seth was pretending to be a baby, so I picked him up and cuddled him and then put him in the crib with Jane.  Jane was just waking up from a nap, so the two of them played in the crib for a while.  Seth had a blast and I have found him playing in the crib a few times since!  I think that he was just waiting for permission to play in there!  What a fun kid! 

I have started to feed Jane solids.  She has been doing great with the foods we give her.  She hasn't refused anything yet.  Avocados seem to be her favorite food.  The boys are having fun helping me feed her. 



When I start feeding my kids solid foods, I always use two spoons.  One for them to hold and play with and one for me to use to put the food on the spoon.  I am always in charge of the food spoon and they can exchange spoons with me once I put the food in their mouth.  Once she gets a better hang of what to do I give her the bowl of food, but for right now this works great. 

She loves playing with her spoon.  Do you want to see what happens when she drops her spoon? 
She calmed down as soon as I gave her the spoon.  I love that you can still see the teary eyes in this picture.

I am having a lot of fun with Jane.  I am so happy to have her in my family. I love watching her discover things and watching her personality emerge.  I am one lucky momma!  There isn't much that will make me happy to be awake at 4 in the morning, but she has a way of making me smile and laugh when I get up with her.  She gets so excited to see me when I come into her room.  She smiles and flaps her arms so that she bounces in the bed.  Thankfully, a diaper change and a bottle satisfies her and she willingly goes back to sleep.  She doesn't wake up every night, just sometimes.  Usually she will go to bed around 7 pm and wake up around 5:30-6 am.  I am a very lucky momma!

4 comments:

  1. She's so cute. I love the "two spoons" idea. They always grab at it, makes a few minute feeding turn into a half-hour tug of war. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of Seth and Jane in the crib. How adorable. You are a fun Mom and are a great example of doing your best to enjoy your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute post! She is getting so big and is so darn cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is a beautiful addition to your family! Time flies when you have a newborn, soon enough they are up and mobile and next thing you know they are driving (true story)

    ReplyDelete