First off, I don't think that any chore chart will work without explaining to the kids why we do chores and what you expect of them. When I was sick with the migraines and then with pregnancy, I was overwhelmed with chores that needed to be done and I lacked the energy to argue with the boys and pester them to get their chores done. We had a few talks with the boys about responsibility. We explained that we need to work together as a family to keep the house ordered and clean. We told them that as a member of our family they have a responsibility to help out. When we work together to get things done three things will happen- we will have a clean house (which is a calming influence), we have a better relationship with each other (because we can trust each other to help out) and we have pride in our work (helps self-esteem to have responsibilities and to carry them through).
We explained that everyone has two types of responsibilities; personal and family.They have personal responsibilities (like brushing teeth, combing hair, making bed, putting clothes away, etc.) and family responsibilities (cleaning bathrooms, dishes, sweeping, etc.) We expect the boys to do their personal responsibilities and at least two family responsibilities each day. Every morning the boys are in charge of doing one chore (family responsibility) and another in the evening (we rotate kitchen chores in the evening).
We have weekly family meetings where we will bring up the talk about responsibilities now and again. We often will discuss what is working and what needs to get more attention with the chores.
Computer time is what talks in this family. If a chore has not been done when it is supposed to be done, computer privileges are revoked. It is understood that they need to get their responsibilities done before they can play with their toys, friends or computers. We have had very few problems with getting the boys to do their part.
I needed a system that didn't require me to hover over them to get it done, or that required me to get special stickers or cards down to indicate that the chore was done. I used what we had on hand and I have tweaked it here and there as we go along. (I love how flexible it is).
I have a magnetic white board on the wall in the upstairs hallway directly in front of the stairway. I wrote out all of the chores that we need to get done on index cards. I keep the cards in a box in the hall closet. Each night I put up at least three cards for what needs to be done the next morning. The boys pick which chore they will do, do it, and then put their initial magnet on the card to indicate that it is done. I can tell who hasn't done a chore by looking at the letter that is not on a chore card. This system isn't super technical or fancy, but that is what I love about it. If I think of something to add to the list, I just write out a new card, or write it down on the white board.
Here is what we use:
| Everyone has done their chores! |
| Sometimes the magnets get put back in this order and it makes me smile! |
Days of the Week I have tabs labeled with each day of the week. We assign two days a week for each boy to empty the dishwasher so I put a card with their names on the day they are in charge that week. I do laundry on Monday, so I put the 'laundry day' card up to remind the boys to sort their laundry and put it in the laundry room. Thursdays are garbage days, so I keep the 'take garbage cans to the street' card in there.
As Needed This is where I put things like folding towels, emptying garbage cans, wiping down bathroom counters and collecting library books.
Rotate This is where I put chore cards for things that need to be done around the house but not on a specific day. I will pull cards from the 'day of the week' pile, then any from 'as needed', then I will pull from this pile. After the chore is done, I put the card in the back of the pile and pull new ones from the front.
Weekend I keep the cards that have our weekend chores outlined here.
I am including a list of the chore cards we use. I have worked to make sure that each chore takes less than five minutes to accomplish if the kids stay on task.
Days of the Week:
Dishes (the boys are assigned this one and each boy gets two days a week, I do them on Saturday)
Monday: laundry
Wednesday: replace towels in all three bathrooms
Thursday: Garbage cans to street
As Needed:
Empty recycle box
Empty kitchen garbage (or other garbage can)
Fold towels
Sweep floor
Wipe off table
Gather library books
Straighten living room
Straighten and wipe down bathroom counters
Rotate
Wash cabinets in bathroom (one card for each bathroom)
Sanitize light switches upstairs
Sanitize light switches downstairs
Wipe down walls in downstairs hallway
Wipe down stairway walls
Wipe down upstairs hall walls
Wipe baseboards (split into 6 different zones)
Wash door frames upstairs
Wash door frames downstairs
Wash doors upstairs
Wash doors downstairs
Wash stairway handrail
Clean laundry room window
Wash stairway banister
Sanitize doorknobs upstairs
Sanitize doorknobs downstairs
Sanitize remote controls and computer mice
Sanitize kitchen cupboard and drawer handles
Dust blinds (split into 4 zones)
Clean out shoe cubby
Wipe down kitchen chairs and stools
Wipe front of kitchen cabinets
Wipe front of fridge, ovens and dishwasher
Weekend
The boys clean their rooms, change their bedsheets and rotate between the following chores:
Family room (put away toys and books, vacuum all downstairs carpet, dust) and clean downstairs bathroom
Living room (put away toys and books, vacuum all upstairs carpet, dust) and clean upstairs bathroom
Vacuum stairs, sweep and mop bathroom floors and clean master bathroom
I know that the boys don't do the chores the way that I do them. In fact, sometimes I cringe when I see how the chore was done (like with the towels). I have had to let go of a lot of things to allow the boys to have a responsibility that is theirs. When I saw the towels so lovingly arranged in my closet, I was really bothered and wanted to make Seth come back and do it MY way. But then I realized that I didn't have to pester him to do his chore, he did an okay job for a 6 year old, and it won't be too long before I will be able to do the towels the way I want them done because the kids will be out of the house. We will work on getting things done in a more ordered way as their abilities increase.
We do hold them accountable for getting them done appropriately. I expect a neater job from a 10 year old than I do from a 6 year old. I don't expect that they get every speck of dirt off of the doors when they wash them or every towel folded in a perfect square, but I do expect that they try their best. Sometimes I will have to have them repeat a job because they didn't get the obvious dirt spots off. I only expect the doors, walls and windows to be washed as high as they can reach (which is where all of the dirt is!) The work that they do keeps the house clean and makes it easier on me when I do a major cleaning session. They get rid of the surface dirt which makes it easier to get to the nooks and crannies.
This system is very simple for us to use. Daniel has mentioned several times how much he likes it. The boys know what we expect from them and they do really well with this. They do have a sense of accomplishment when they complete a chore. I have a sense of peace because we are able to work in harmony. It takes only a minute or two a day for me to switch out the cards. I am rather pleased with how well this works because it really is quite simple. I'd love to say that we never have issues with getting things done. We definitely have days when I need to give some motivating reminders. This isn't a perfect system, but it is one that works really well for my family right now.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this all out. I love seeing what other moms are doing and what works for their families!
ReplyDeleteI'm laughing at your PMS! A reminder of how mom feels when chores DON'T get done. :)
ReplyDeleteI like this chart. I wish I didn't have so many heads of hair to get done....it sure eats into our time in the morning. I have switched all their jobs to after dinner, but usually by then I have done all the jobs during the day and they are off the hook...time to re-vamp.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this. I might 'borrow' some of your ideas since our chore chart isn't working very well at the moment... Frustrating since it DID take alot of effort (for me) to put together!
ReplyDelete