Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Pain in the Rear

Coccydynia is a pain in the butt- literally!

Today I started physical therapy on my tailbone for coccydynia.  My tailbone has been hurting ever since Jane was born.  The pain has always been while sitting or laying on my back, but it has gotten worse over the last year and after trying a few different kind of adjustments with my chiropractor, he referred me to a physician to see what the problem is.  I was diagnoised with coccydynia, (which is the fancy name for when the coccyx hurts) and referred to a physical therapist.  If things don't improve with the therapy, then I will try steroid injections to help with the pain. 

I am sore from the treatment, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (mainly because we only did external manipulation).  The muscles surrounding the tailbone are really tight on the left side and that is what we beleive is causing the pain (the muscles won't allow the tailbone to move/curve the way it needs to when I sit, so I wind up sitting directly on top of the tailbone).

 I am anxious to be able to sit down for longer than 5 minutes without being uncomfortable.  I am anxious to sit in the car and not be in near tears while trying to get out of the seat.  I am anxious to go to a movie and actually enjoy sitting through the credits. 

I've heard that if you walk out of physical therapy feeling worse than you did when you walked in, that they are doing their job right.  I am sore, but I think that the meds are helping me to feel better than I would be otherwise.  I might be singing a different story tomorrow. 

As a side note, it is costing me half as much money to be a self-pay patient rather than going through my insurance ($60/visit vs $120-140/visit).  My insurance doesn't cover this physical therapy office, so I would be 'out of network' and we have such a high deductable, that I just asked what it would cost to not go through insurance and I was floored!  Self-pay it is! 

1 comment:

  1. I am glad it is cheaper than you thought. At least your wallet won't hurt as much. I am so sorry you are going through all of this pain, and dr. appointments. Such an inconvenience, but not surgery so that is the good part.

    ReplyDelete