Mark brought home a note from his teacher that was attached to a class assignment. The teacher's note stated that Mark had written "WASTE OF PAPER" on an assignment and she required a parent signature on the assignment before she would record it.
The assignment was easy, Mark knew the answers, but he felt that it was so easy that it was a waste of his time to work on it. He did the assignment but had to write his attitude down before turning it in.
Seriously?
I am glad that the teacher made a big deal out of this. We had a talk about attitudes, staying on the good side of people, how the teacher felt when she saw this, how I know that he is smart and that he knows that he is smart, but it is appropriate to do assignments or express your reasons not to do it constructively, and more. I made him write an apology to his teacher before I would sign the paper. His apology went like this:
Ms. Rasmussen,
I am sorry that I was rude and disrespectful. I can't make any promises, but I will try my best not to do it again.
Mark
I accepted the 'apology' and moved on. Hopefully we don't have any more issues like this (but he can't make any promises, so....)
Ok, even though it probably wasn't the best idea, that is pretty funny. I am taking care of that job for Seth and just throwing anything that is a waste of paper in the recycle so it can make new paper for worthwhile things. :) Thanks again for all your help this week. I will probably have a project ready for you on Monday.
ReplyDeleteHa ha ha- You handled this perfectly. The assignment undoubtedly was a waste, but not worth Mark showing disrespect. Good on you - and on Mark, for accepting your direction. Hang on for the ride!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness- homework is a thorn in our side at this home too. Josh sounds just like Mark- he knows the stuff and feels like every assignment is a waste of time. I don't think I will share this story with him. He might get some ideas....;)
ReplyDelete