Thursday, February 21, 2013

Bryce Canyon

Last weekend we drove down to Bryce Canyon for a fun family vacation.  I am still trying to recover from the trip- I am exhausted.  Even though the trip drained my energy, I am so glad that we went!

I spent most of Friday prepping and packing the food for our trip.  We were staying in a hotel that had a microwave and a small fridge and we planned on eating all of our meals in the room.  I bought an electric skillet so we were able to have scrambled eggs, tacos and pancakes/French toast. We all had plenty to eat and I was happy with our food situation. 

About 5 minutes after I decided that I wasn't going to take a shower before we left, I got a phone call from my friend Shelley.  She needed some help with her son's birthday party.  Timing was great, so I had a quick lunch and headed over to get some party prep done.  Carson invited Seth to the party and they even arranged the party date and time so that Seth could attend the party- we left for Bryce Canyon right after the party was over!  We had a great time at the party and it was nice to focus on something that wasn't the vacation for a few minutes! 

This was our first road trip with Jane.  We haven't traveled much since I have changed my diet- it is difficult to travel with my restrictions.  I'm doing better with my situation now, so perhaps I will be more willing to go out?  We'll see.  Anyhow, Jane did great with the 4 hour drive.  She only took a 30-minute nap on the way home.  She loves to be out and about, so she enjoyed the entire trip. 
Jane loving the ride

Two minutes later

The kiddos

The reason we went down to Bryce Canyon was because my brother and sister-in-law (Randy and Wendy) and their family goes down there for the Winter Festival every year.  Wendy's uncle teaches an art class during the festival, so a lot of her family goes down there for a little reunion.  I told Wendy that if she were to invite us to come along that I wouldn't say no! 

Jane Daniel and Seth

Kayaking- Daniel, Paul, Mark

Paul

Jane watching the kayak lessons

Wendy (and Mark photo bombing)

Randy, Jane and Daniel
We stayed in Ruby's Inn and had two conjoined rooms.  Randy and Wendy were in the two rooms next to us- it was great to be close to them!  We didn't see a lot of Tanner and Cooper- they are the same age as Mark and Seth- but we had fun with them when we did see them!  The boys participated in the archery class, kayak class, art classes, craft activities, went on a snow shoeing hike with Randy, played card games and board games, and went swimming.  Seth went swimming 4 times on Saturday!  I forgot Jane's swimming suit, but with her swim diaper and life jacket on, it didn't matter much!
Randy and Sherron
 
This is what happens when you ask the boys to put their arms around each other!

Oh!  They figured it out!  Mark and Paul getting ready for the archery lessons


The boys playing a board game- this kept the older three up until 2 am Saturday night- Seth called it a night long before that!


Seth during the watercolor painting class

Seth's painting

Randy helping Tanner and Seth with the chalk making craft

Jane putting the chalk mix in the mold

 



After two late nights and super busy days, we called it a day and headed home.  The festival continues to Monday, but we decided to stay for just two nights.  It worked out good because it gave everyone a day to recuperate before heading back to school. 

 
I really wish that we had taken a family picture while there.  We weren't all together most of the time because we were split up to go to different activities. All in all though, it was a very successful family trip! 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Love the photos, glad all went well. Here's to the beginning of great Taylor Family Vacations!

    ReplyDelete