Because I love to be in the mountains, I spend as much time there as I can. Many times I leave Jane with Daniel because she can't handle the long walks. As my family gets older I am realizing that if I want a hiking companion, I need to get Jane to come with me! I made a bargain with her that if she can go on a few hikes with me and be tough (not make me carry her) then I will buy her a water backpack. We even went to the store and had her try some on. She decided that she would be tough and go on a hike.
Sunday we decided to go to Twin Lakes. It is about 2 1/2 miles total with a 700 foot elevation gain, so it is a pretty good hike for her. She did a great job!
 |
| Jane got ready for the hike by putting on a dress and her tiara. |
 |
| Seth and Jane at the beginning of the hike |
I decided that a tough girl hike would mean that the tough girl gets to decide when we take a break. We took a lot of breaks. Most of the time I was ready for a break, too! Seth earns the reward of being the patient boy. He didn't want to take all of the breaks, but he was good about waiting until Jane was ready to go again.
 |
| We took pictures during one of our breaks. Jane loves to give a little pose for her pictures. |
 |
| We made it to Twin Lakes! |
The last few hikes I have been on in this area it has been rather chilly. There was a storm predicted for the afternoon and the temperature was low. My long sleeve shirt and the kid's jackets were shed before the halfway point because it was so hot and sunny that we were overheating!
 |
| Me and Seth doing a pose like Jane! |
 |
| My handsome Seth |
Jane was tired on the way back down. During one of our stops she folded herself in half on a rock and stayed there for a short nap. I had to work really hard to keep her positive. We sang songs and that helped her to stay focused on something other than complaining for a long time! It took us nearly as long to get down as it did to get up, but I was determined to have her realize that she can do this on her own!
 |
| What better moral support can you get than your big brother holding your hand? |
 |
| Jane found a little hideout that she took a break in. At this point she was wearing my hat and I had her tiara. |
Jane fell asleep as we drove down the mountain to go home.
I am so proud of my tough little hiker!
Yayyy! Great post, great hike. Kudos to you Sherron, and to Seth for being a super, big brother- and to Jane for being Tough! You made the right call on this hike, love and smiles!
ReplyDelete