Sunday, September 27, 2015

Backpacking with the Boys

In August, right before school started for Mark and Paul, we looked at the calendar and realized that we had a day that we didn't have anything going on. Mark didn't have work, the boys didn't have taekwondo, nothing was on the schedule!   So we took advantage of this rare blank space on the calendar and we went backpacking.  We went on the same trail that I went on with my brother the month before.  It was much easier for me mentally because I knew what to anticipate, but I found it a bit harder physically.  My knees didn't handle the hike down well (I injured my knees earlier in the spring taking a Cardio Barre class) but the hike up was just tiring.  Probably didn't help that I was going uphill with two teenagers who bound up inclines like mountain goats. 





Once we got up to the top we set up camp, ate dinner and then went for a walk around the lake.  It was chilly so we took off our sweaty clothes and put our coats on. Despite asking Mark if he had packed his coat 3 times, he forgot it, so he got to wear my wind breaker (he doesn't get cold easily, and he had his beard hat on, so he was ok).  




Paul loved hiking up this rocky area.  It made me nervous.  

 The weather forecast was clear so we decided to sleep under the stars.  It was gorgeous!  There was a meteor shower, so we saw a meteor every 5  minutes or so.  We talked and looked at the stars until we drifted off to sleep.  When I woke up at night and couldn't go back to sleep it was great to just lay there and look at the stars. I could see the Milky Way. It was beautiful! Last time I was up there the moon was too bright to see very many stars!





Mark had some summer homework for AP Chemistry so I made him learn a few more elements before we could hike down.  




I really had a great time going on the backpacking trip.  It was wonderful to spend time with my teenage boys.  Unfortunately, they do not love backpacking. Somehow I failed to convert them- boo! I was hoping to have built-in companions for future trips! They didn't hate it, but they aren't clamoring to go again. Rats! 

1 comment:

  1. Great post- but Sherron, you never know... one day they'll want to go again and you will be surprised. We love your photos of the scenery. When I was young our family camped under the stars and that always was a favorite for me. Love you and your guys!

    ReplyDelete