Sunday, January 23, 2011

One Dozen

Yesterday our family celebrated its 12 birthday!  Daniel and I have been married for 12 years!  We have made our anniversary a family event and we had a fun celebration with the kids last night.  Since we were celebrating number 12, I made a Dozen Dinner.  We had one dozen types of food and one dozen of each food.  Our menu included one dozen carrots, olives, apple slices, orange slices, rolls, turkey slices, pickles, deviled eggs, jello cups and cheese sticks.  We had a dozen brownie bites and ice cream rolls for dessert.  We lit one dozen candles and ate by candle light.  It was a fun little celebration!  I really love my family!

I was trying to think of a catchy title for this blog that used the word 'dozen', but all I could think of was "cheaper by the dozen" and that is not quite what I wanted to say about my marriage! 

It kind of seems unreal that I have been married for 12 years.  I feel so blessed to be married to Daniel.  We are a great team together and I know that we will continue to work well together.  I was thinking back to our wedding day and I cannot believe how naive we were about marriage and life.  We have had some good life lessons and we are a stronger couple because of them.  I'll write more about the life lessons during some of my personal history posts.

After dinner I checked my email.  My sister-in-law sent notice that my brother (Randy) had been in a rappelling accident in Moab.  He was life-flighted to the U of U hospital last night. He has two breaks in his back, a broken tailbone, he broke both legs and both feet.  He seems to be out of risk of nerve damage, but he has a long, painful road to recovery.

I hate how helpless I feel right now about this.  I know that his family is struggling with emotions and trying to spend time with him.  I don't want to bother them but I struggle with knowing how to be involved if they need me.  Facebook and emails are good.  I won't call them unless there is something specific and urgent that they need from me.  I don't want to act like I don't care, but right now I don't know that there is much that I can do.  I really hope that Randy has a smooth recovery.

This is scary.  My post last week about close calls is hitting home again.  (Jane fell down the stairs last week and seemed more scared than hurt.  It was scary and I only had myself to blame as I didn't latch the stair gate but thought that I had.  Crisis averted, but seriously that was a close call) 

Randy and Wendy, I love you.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really fun anniversary!!

    We are sorry to hear about your brother in law. It is so hard to know how to help. A message online is good, and also a phone call would be fine, I am sure.

    Also we are glad Jane is ok -- how scary this last couple of weeks have been for accidents!

    Hugs to all of you --

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, feel the same way. I care, feel helpless and don't want to bother them with phone calls. Everything will work it's out, and we'll be able to see the whole picture in a few days-see where we can help!
    Congrats on your anniversary! I'm curious about the things you've learned over the past 12 years together-seeing that I've been with Kris 12 years this July, and how our relationships have devloped differetly! Let's catch up soon! Love you sis! -Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your love and support. Thanks for being thoughtful enough to know that I am flooded with calls to the point I want to hide. I know you are there and thinking of us. For next week I need some hospital sitters. There is a new link on facebook and comments on the schedule. you can pencil yourself in wherever works out for you. I will check it as often as possible. It would help to have the blanks filled in. Also if Tanner could come to play some time on the weekends it would help out as well.

    ReplyDelete