Monday, March 7, 2011

PhD 6

Memories about elementary school.

Memory #1 Jami
The elementary school I went to had a class that consisted of children with disabilities.  It was called Resource, but I don't know what it is called now.  My next door neighbor Jami had Williams syndrome.  She was challenged mentally (would never advance past a 2nd-3rd grade level) but physically I couldn't tell that she belonged in Resource. I remember being in 2nd or 3rd grade and standing in the hallway of the school where the old tower building met up with the newer addition.  Resource was in the tower and Jami was in the hallway, probably just returning from using the bathroom.  There were two boys in the hallway teasing Jami.  They were calling her names and just being mean.  I was really upset that they would treat Jami that way and I called out to them and told them to stop.  They backed off and I escorted Jami to her class.

I think that having that class in my elementary helped me to be more comfortable with people who have special needs.  It was just a normal thing to have someone who needed special help in the school.  The kids would come into the regular classrooms occasionally, some for half a day and others just for certain activities.  It was a benefit to all of us who were around them because it helped us see these kids as real people.   I was glad to help Jami, but I still get upset when I think of those boys teasing her. It just makes me so angry.

Memory #2 Mrs. Davis
My Kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Davis.  I don't remember her as being a warm and loving teacher.  I have talked with several of my friends who had her and they feel the same, so I'm not imagining things.    The details are shaky, but I guess that I didn't finish my work and I was in the play area with all of the other kids.  She picked me up and carried me to my chair and set me down rather roughly.     

Memory #3 Gym teacher
In the 6th grade I had a gym teacher who I thought was really cool.  She was a lot of fun to be with during our P.E. time.  From what I recall, she was single and probably in her mid 20's.  Looking back now, I know that she had crossed some boundaries with her students and I wonder if anything happened between her and other kids.  She would invite kids to do things after school.  At the time I thought that it was cool, but now I understand how inappropriate it was.  She definitely could not do this kind of activity today with out getting into trouble.

I was invited to go swimming with her and a group of my friends.  I know that Heather, Jennifer D, and I think Stephanie went with me.  We went to the high school pool and had a great time together.  In the locker room is where I felt uncomfortable because the gym teacher stripped down and showered in front of us.  I know that showering in the locker room isn't a bad thing to do, but being naked in front of your students is a crossed boundary that made all of us girls feel uncomfortable.  I remember quickly rinsing off in my swimsuit and going into a stall to change. 

Memory #4 Perfect attendance award
In 6th grade I worked hard at getting a perfect attendance award.  I went to school even though I was having headaches.  I went to school every day (I was checked out after lunch a few times, but the school counts as perfect attendance).  I was on time to school every day that year.  

On our way to the award assembly at the end of the year, my teacher announced that anyone who was tardy for any reason would not receive the perfect attendance award.  Since I was the only person in the class who was in the running for this award I was confused.  I then recalled that earlier in the year ALL of the girls came into school late because we didn't hear her say it was time to go in.  We lined up as a class with boys in one line and girls in another.  She came and got the boys, and perhaps the girls at the front of the line didn't see them go so they didn't follow, but however it happened, all of the girls were outside when the final bell rang.  When we noticed that we were the only class left out there (which, by the was, wasn't the only time we were the last class to have our teacher come and get us) one of the boys came to get us.

That was the ONLY time that I was tardy, and I don't think that it really counts as a genuine tardy.  I did not receive the perfect attendance award and I was hurt.  I cried.  My mom talked with the principal and he said that the teacher had the final say over which awards the students received.  I made a quick enemy (when you are 12 years old, it is easy to hate someone when they wrong you).  It was a good thing that school was over in a day or two, because I lost all respect for my teacher and felt that she hurt me on purpose. I usually picked out a gift to give to my teachers at the end of the year (bouquet of flowers, little notebook, ect.) but I had no desire to give this teacher a gift.  My mom tried to convince me to be nice to her and thank her for the year as my teacher, but I was so hurt that I didn't want to acknowledge my teacher for anything.  So I gave my teacher nothing out of spite.

I was going through my papers in a memory box a few years ago and I found a paper from my classmate  Jessica Archuleta.  She made me a perfect attendance award with construction paper and crayons. I cried when I found that paper.  It was sweet of my friend to make that for me.  It was certainly an act of kindness to help me feel better.  I really just wish that it was never necessary.

1 comment:

  1. I saw Jamie walking the other day when I was driving to my parents. I got a huge smile seeing her again and waved at her and she gave me one of her amazing grins and it totally made my day.
    I remember the swimming thing too.
    Mrs.Davies threatened to cut my tongue out once so yes you can say she wasn't the sweetest teacher.
    I also remember a bunch of us were really mean to Jessica and you were the only one that would be nice to her. You have always been brave. You always follow your moral compass no matter what social implications it may have. I have always admired you for that. Thanks for sharing your memories

    ReplyDelete