Daniel will go to a movie and screen it for me. Most times (like 19 out of 20) he will tell me that the movie will bother me. It doesn't surprise me because just watching the trailer for most movies tells me that I can't watch the whole movie.
When the trailers came out for The Lord of the Rings, they terrified me. I would go out of the theater until the previews were over. I have watched the cartoon version of The Hobbit. It use to scare me, but it doesn't anymore. I'm not quite sure what has changed. (Scooby-Do use to scare me, too, but doesn't now- at least not every episode- so I'm not quite as sensitive now as I use to be!)
I really enjoy reading books, so I was excited to pick up a new series called The Hunger Games. I had heard a lot of people rave about them, but I had a bunch of things on my to-do list before I could start the series. I had no idea what the books were about, so I enquired about the story line and I was horrified! The description reminded me a bit of Lord of the Flies (I had to read that book two years in a row in school and I hated it). I went home and took my name off of the library waiting list. This series didn't interest me in the least.
The movie came out and Daniel went with his brother, sister-in-law, and two nieces. When he came back from the movie, he said that it is one that I should never see. We got talking about the violence in the movie and how surprised he is that it is so popular with certain groups. He said that the movie is well done, but that he didn't enjoy it and isn't tempted to read the books.
When Daniel was telling me some details about the movie (because I was curious if it was really as violent as the story line hints) I started to feel sick. When he told me about when the game participants start and go towards the supply table and a handful of people are killed right there, I started to cry. I've never been this emotional towards movies, but I was so saddened that this type of entertainment is accepted and applauded.
Mark wants to see the movie and I don't want him to. Daniel doesn't want him to see it either. A lot of his friends have seen the movie, so he feels a bit left out.
Last night I discovered that kids have been playing Hunger Game Wars at school during recess. They get 24 kids together, assign districts, and fight it out until only 2 are standing. I know that they aren't really fighting to the death, and that they are 'fake fighting', but it really upset me. I talked with the boys about how it isn't an appropriate game to play at school, as it can get out of hand very easily, but they didn't seem to be worried about it and essentially dismissed my concerns. As soon as I got the kids in bed, I emailed the school principal and told her about the games, just so that she is aware of it and can impliment some rules about it or make the recess aides aware of it is if she chooses to. Am I overracting? I don't feel like I am, but others may disagree with me.
Here is a Facebook conversation that I had with a friend from high school:
Christina:
I have found it interesting that some people find the story to be 'fabulous' and aren't disturbed by the violence at all. At least I know that a few other people feel the same way about the disgusting storyline, but even then, most of them will read the books or watch the movie as a way to feel that they fit in with society. I am not judging other people for what they are comfortable with, even though it may seem as though I am. In all fairness, I am just perplexed that my level of comfort is so far off from what the comfort level of the people around me is. That is all.
My emotions are raw right now, my sensitivity higher than normal. My sensitivity can make me feel isolated sometimes. Lately, with all of the excitement with this movie, I have realized how different I am.
I am the same way. I started reading the books because I had heard so much about them, but had no idea how violent they would be. But of course I felt like I had to keep reading so I could find out what happened at the end. But I have no desire to go see it played out on a movie screen. My nightmares were bad enough!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.ksl.com/?nid=1011&sid=19690028
ReplyDeleteyou should read this article.
OK, As you know I have read the books and saw the movies, I am going to give you a quick clip of thoughts then tomorrow I will give you my whole issue, which surprisingly doesn't involve the story line.
I liked the books enough to finish the series and somehow in my mind...I pictured it pioneer times and that is how I got through the books. Which probably would be why I didn't like the movie! When you read you can kind of skip the "violent parts" and that is what I did. Also Josh saw it and when Dani asked if Her 12 year old can see it since all the other kids were, I said I wouldn't let him and even Josh (my war movie lover brother) said he thought it was to violent and bloody for adam.!
This is a really interesting post, because I am going to see the movie tonight with my parents. I am halfway through the second book and it is a very disgusting story. I am super sensitive to movies as well, but I think I may have just found someone who is even more so!
ReplyDeleteThis is going to be interesting. I, too, started the books because of all the hype about them. I didn't read the first one until the movie actually came out and got such rave reviews. Then, I read the first book in a day. Not because I loved it, but because I had to find out what happened...which lead to the next books.
It is such a twisted story line, but I have to hand it to the author for sucking you in like she does and making you want to read more. It's a really weird thing.
Now I feel like I MUST go see the movie BECAUSE I've read the book. I guess I've been "sucked in" and this will be the first movie like this I've been to since 'Jurassic Park'. I'm nervous but we'll see how it goes....
Hmm. I was not disgusted at all by the story. The violence is not gratuitous, it is showing how in real life, each of us must stand for ourselves, our values, and be able to fight when it is necessary. I really enjoyed the books. The characters are well developed and the story line is fine; a bit fantasy, but the moral is well taught. The heroes are morally clean and virtuous. I never like movies so I won't go to see it.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the playground game- just like dodgeball or king of the hill.
I am sort of a late-comer to realizing how brutal life is, and how we must be prepared to deal with it. As children read or see these kinds of things, it is very worthwhile to have long discussions, often, about the story, the characters, the interactions, and so on.
I don't like violence at all, but I realize that you can't hide from the really bad stuff in life. You don't have to wallow in it but you do have to recognize and face it, or it will sneak up and hurt you or those you love.
Just sayin'
Hugs -
I consider myself to be sensitive to 'scary' movies but I guess maybe I'm not quite as sensitive as I thought because I read the books and watched the movie and wasn't bothered. I'm sure that I would have been if they would have glorified the violence but I took something alot different away from the story. For the most part the people forced to participate in the games were disgusted by them and in the end fought for their right to NOT have to participate in the games and be able to live their lives freely and without fear of a government that controlled their lives. I guess I think that some things are worth fighting for/against but I completely understand you not wanting to watch something that upsets you. I guess it's a good thing that we live a world where we can choose what we want to watch instead of in a world like the books where they are forced to watch The Hunger Games! :)
ReplyDeleteP.S. :) As far as the games at school... I don't think that they would bother me but there are lots of things that do bother me that don't bother other people so I think that you have to do whatever you need to do in order to feel comfortable with where your boys are and what they are doing for most of their day.
ReplyDelete