Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Birthday Boy


Seth turned 5 years old today. He has had a great birthday! We usually go out to eat as a family for birthdays, but Seth requested a 'stay at home burrito dinner'. I can handle that!

He wanted a giant cookie cake, so I put cookie batter in a spring form pan and made a giant cookie. He loved it!

He really wanted to have a friend party, but knowing that I can't handle a big crowd of 5 year boys right now, we decided to invite 2 friends over for a birthday lunch.

 Cody Burke, Seth, and Nathan Barlocker



Seth has been struggling trying to decide how grown up he wants to be. He has been trying to tie his own shoes. He gets dressed alone (I only intercept when he wears camouflage with plaid or tie dye).

I have been wearing my bear socks lately and Seth loves them. He will come up and hug my foot or cuddle with my foot. "Mom, you are so lucky that you have cute socks".


Seth is a daddy's boy lately. He has been following Daniel around the house while imitating what Daniel does. Seth even set up a computer in Daniel's office. He sits on the floor and types away, imitating Daniel. The awesome thing about it is that for the most part he doesn't bother Daniel.


A few weeks ago Seth started throwing major fits when it was time to go to bed. He would complain that his stomach or head hurt, or that he needed a drink, or that he was scared in his room and needed to be downstairs to feel safe. He would go on and on while Daniel stayed next to him and tried to comfort him. These fits would go on for 15 minutes until Seth was completely worn out and went to sleep.

I told Daniel to ignore his fits and leave the room. That has helped diminish the fits, but not eliminate them. The other night Daniel was sick, so he went to bed early. I was tucking Seth into bed and he started throwing his fit. Our conversation went something like this:
Seth: I'm soooo thirsty.
Me: We'll get you a drink in the morning.
Seth: My head hurts.
Me: You need some sleep. Your head won't hurt in the morning.
Seth: Owie, owie, my tummy hurts. I'm soooo hungry.
Me: I will make an awesome breakfast tomorrow. You'll have to wait.
Seth: Where is dad?
Me: He's in bed.
Seth: Is he asleep?
Me: Yes.
Seth: (a brief pause) Okay. Goodnight Mom.

When I related this with Daniel he laughed and felt embarrassed that Seth had played him so well. What a funny little kid!

I absolutely love Seth. He is a lot of fun to be around. He rarely gets into trouble and when he does, he really doesn't like being disciplined. There is something about Seth that reminds me of my cousin Russell. I adore Russell and so does nearly everyone who knows him. He is charismatic and Seth has that same quality. Since Seth is still wearing size 3T pants, he just might take after Russell in vertical challenges too!

Happy birthday Seth! I love you!

9 comments:

  1. HA HA wanna know whats funny we think Josh takes after Russell~ Seth reminds me of Josh in a lot of your posts, and the million excuses before bed Josh could of written like 4 books of them! He still hasn't grown out of it, he like to go in to talk to my mom right before bed time! She says at least he still talks to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is such a doll!! I love his cute face..(as I have mentioned in the past) You are a great mom and are wonderful at recording fun moments in life. Keep it up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! He is such a handsome boy! Happy Birthday Seth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Seth! I miss you in preschool! You are such a cute boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Seth!!! 5-wow, time goes fast! You know, it's not fair, your five year old is still in 3T and my two year old is fitting perfect in 3T, but not for long. Love the socks, you've always had fun socks! Love you, hope your scense of smell can tame itself! -Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Seth too! Happy Birthday Seth. I am glad to know my kid isn't the only one fighting bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Seth!! Great photos and I love the birthday cake. I don't comment often but we really like reading your blog. Hugs --

    ReplyDelete