Seeing as how I am normally sensitive to smells, it is natural that pregnancy just compounds the issue. Fortunately, I am not as queasy now as I have been, but I am still just as sensitive to smells.
The other night I was craving fish sticks. I found some that are "Sherron friendly" and I bought them. Then I realized that I had to bake them and that my house would smell like fish. I figured that I could deal with it, so I started making dinner. I was making oven baked fries, so I put the potatoes in the sink to clean them off. I have washed many a potato, but never have I been so repulsed by the smell of dirt that was coming from them. I thought that maybe fish sticks was a BAD idea, but I didn't know what else to make. I opened the windows in the kitchen (it was a balmy 30 degrees outside), put a fan in the kitchen that pushed the air to the window, and I opened the door to the laundry room and turned on the ventilation fan.
I successfully made a fish stick dinner (accompanied with homemade tartar sauce that was delicious and oh, so easy to make) without gagging on the smells. Of course, Daniel wondered if I had invited penguins to dine with us because it was so cold in the kitchen!
I normally use unscented laundry detergents because the scented ones are too strong. I really do like the smell of most fabric softeners, but the scent bothers me and it bothers Mark and Seth's eczema. Daniel's friend stayed with us for a while when he was first divorcing and when he moved out, he left his fabric softener sheets. They are rated a scent of 3 out of 10, so I figured that it would be nice to have our towels and blankets smell good. I used half of a sheet and it was WAY too strong for me. I experimented and found that I can use 1/8 of a sheet for optimal scent and no ill effect on sensitive skin.
Not anymore. THAT is too much scent for me right now. That is insane!
When we have friends come over to play I usually wind up opening windows in the house because the scent of the fabric softener on their clothes is suffocating.
I am soooooo glad that I don't have any diapers to change right now!
Wow I'm so sorry! I am also sensitive to smells, and can't stand to sit next to anyone who wears perfume or aftershave. Sometimes even the scented lotions make my eyes water. Pregnancy makes everything so much worse! Hang in there!
ReplyDelete