Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Just Because I Can Doesn't Mean That I Should

I have been dairy and wheat free for nearly one year now. I've had the occasional bites of things I shouldn't and I have paid the consequences. It has been a tough process figuring out what foods my body can or cannot tolerate. It has been difficult being around so many foods that I can't eat. I have left the grocery store in tears several times because a lot of foods that seem safe, aren't. (Like Pringles- they have wheat added!)

Anyhow, over this past few months I have figured out how to adjust some recipes to be GFCF (gluten free casein free). I received a magazine with a lot of holiday recipes and I went through each recipe to see how I could alter it. Then I made a list of ingredients I would need to make everything and I went to the store. As I was driving home with my groceries, I realized that nearly every recipe was for a dessert. I still had half a pan of brownies left. I certainly don't need to make more desserts right now. Luckily, most of the food items are non-perishable, so I have stored them in the pantry and I am waiting to have a reason to make my next recipe. Yes, cravings count as a reason around here!

Daniel found a brownie and a cookie mix from Betty Crocker that are GFCF. The brownies are delicious. The texture and everything is right. Some mixes are made out of garbanzo bean and fava bean flours and they taste terrible. This is a rice and tapioca flour mix. Much better!

I discovered a mix for white bread this week at Harmons. I was hesitant to try it, but it turned out great! The mix isn't terribly expensive- which is unusual! Each loaf costs about $1.75. Seriously, I have been so happy! I have had a lot of pb&j's and BLT sandwiches this week. I never thought that I would be able to feed my BLT craving. I've had BLT salads and BLT pizza (weird, I know), but to have it in sandwich form was AWESOME! Too bad I didn't discover this when tomatoes were fresh out of the garden!

Now that I am finding ways to make foods that have been off limits for the past year, I am finding myself thinking "just because I can doesn't mean that I should!" Moderation in all things, right?

3 comments:

  1. You're so great! I think you should make as many things as you can, since you've had to do without for so long. And cravings are the best reason to make anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my hero for being able to stay away from all the cakes, cookies, etc. I'm so glad you found a way to eat yummy foods and feel good too! Yes, moderation in all things. (I need to keep telling myself that!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should practice making lots of desserts--and then bring them to my house!*insert wicked chuckle track* But seriously, glad you're finding more ways to feel great!

    ReplyDelete