Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Changes

I have been thinking a lot about my blog lately.  I really enjoy keeping a blog and documenting the things that I do with my family.  My fear is that I don't document many of my feelings or emotions about the events.  I would like for my blog to be more than just a travel-log of the Taylor family.  Before I started this blog, I wrote weekly emails and sent them to family members and friends who didn't live close by.  I found that I would edit out my feelings and thoughts to keep the content happy and politically correct.  Occasionally I would write about my emotions, but I wouldn't send that part of the email out. 

This is where I have struggled with the idea of a public journal.  I want to and need to put more about me in these posts, but I am afraid of exposing myself or offending someone for how I feel about something.  I am not a mean person, but sometimes I have emotions and thoughts about how people behave or about things that happen to me and I feel that by not writing about these emotions, my personality and personal history gets lost. 

I intend for my blog to be more about me from now on.  I want this to be more than a series of what I did and who went with me.  I won't stop posting about what I did, but now and again, I want to include why I did what I did, how I felt about it and possibly what I learned from the experience. 

 I want people who read my blog to understand and know me better.  When I print out this blog,  I intend for my children to read it and I want them to know more about me, not just where I took them.  To facilitate this, I am starting a series of my personal history and other things about me.  My goal is to answer around four to eight questions about myself weekly.  I hope to do this every Sunday and have it ready to post by Monday.  I will make it a point to not only answer the question, but to also explain my answer.  If the question is what my favorite color is, I want to explain why that color is my favorite, not just give a one word answer. 

A wonderful quotation gave me the energy to go forward with the idea of writing more about how I feel and being honest with my emotions.  Here it is:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."  -Dr. Seuss

 I really struggle with voicing my thoughts sometimes.   I especially struggle expressing my thoughts in writing.  I know that I am not a wonderful writer, I've never sought out to be an author, but I do enjoy writing a journal.  I know that I struggle with grammatical rules and the sort, but I am going to work on this and not worry about how others might react to my ineptitude.  This will be a good exercise for me to find my voice and be able to express myself in writing better.  Hopefully the more I do this, the easier it will become.

By the end of one year, I will have answered around 250 questions about myself.  I think that not only will this exercise help others to understand a little bit more about me, but it will help me to understand more about myself.  I am in the process of writing out questions and I will have my first series of answers ready to read next Monday, January 17. 

I was trying to figure out if I should call these Q&A posts by a series name (like Q&A week 1) but I can't decide.  While saving the document with the questions, I titled it Personal History Document.  If you take the first letters from each of these words, it spells PhD.  I love funny little things like this, so I like thinking that this could be called Sherron's PhD. 

5 comments:

  1. You're awesome Sherron! I hope that you will still be okay with friends reading about you. I would love to get to know you better, and if you ever need to gripe about me, that's ok, I understand. Sometimes I need to gripe about me too. :) That is a great idea and makes me think that I sometimes need to put more feeling into what I write too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea and name of Sherron's PHd. Sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea -- and brave -- We look forward to getting to know you Sherron!! And along the way, your family too -- that is, getting to know you better. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over my blogging years I have learned that my primary audience is myself. There are even blogging conferences that center around telling women to keep it real when blogging. I have also learned that there are ways to say what you want to say without offending others.

    Be yourself in all you do. I love the PhD thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quote so much it is hanging above my desk right now as I write this. You have to be true to yourself at all times. You do not need to worry about what others think! You are amazing and have every right to put your feelings down so you can remember how it felt like at the time. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete