Thursday, July 30, 2015

Mountain Adventures

The weather has been amazingly beautiful lately.  I have really enjoyed spending time in the mountains.  

My sister Denise and I went on a hike to the Brighton Lakes tour.  I have been to the first lake, Lake Mary several times but the hike to get there is pretty steep so I never wanted to continue to the other  lakes. I also had little kids with me, so the one mile up and one mile down was plenty for us.  Denise and I decided to go up to the other two lakes because it was just the two of us.  The trail isn't nearly as steep past Lake Mary (go figure that I've done the hardest part many times!) so it was a lot easier than I had anticipated!  

It was great to spend the afternoon with my little sister.  On our way down the canyon we stopped off at Spruces Campground to visit my parents who were staying there for the week.  




A few days after the hike with Denise I went on a hike with my older boys and their friends Cordel and Ryan.  We went to Stairs Gulch to hike.  This is one of our favorite hikes.  I took my GPS with us to measure how far it is.  We were shocked to discover that the hike to the waterfall is only .56 miles up the trail.  It takes us 45 minutes to get there.  We are climbing up the riverbed and scaling rocks, so it isn't easy walking.  The elevation gain is 762 feet, so we gain quite a bit in that half mile!  

I really enjoyed hanging out with these boys.  They were all very respectful and fun to be with.  
Mark and Cordel

Paul, Ryan, Mark, Cordel

Me and Mark

For the past 4 years my friend Shelley and I have taken our kids camping.  Just the moms and kids.  My numbers shrank by two this year because Mark had to work and Paul had school.  Her numbers increased by two because she remarried and her husband's kids came with (they came last year, too, but Shelley wasn't even engaged to Tyson at that point!) It is fun to catch up with Shelley- aside from her Bridal Shower, the last time we got together was at last years camping trip!  






Paul has been taking a summer science class and it was finally over, so to celebrate his first week of summer break and Seth's last week (year-round elementary school is so tricky) we hiked up to Lake Solitude.  I had never gone on this hike.  I was hoping to hike around to Twin Lakes, but the trail that connects the two lakes was closed for construction that they are doing in the area.  It was a beautiful and easy hike.  This year the wildflowers have been brilliant.  I don't remember seeing so many in the years past.  






The trail head to Lake Solitude is next to Silver Lake.  I've been here more times than I can keep track of, so it's good to know that there is a great hike or two right next to this trail!

1 comment:

  1. That is a Lot of Hiking! Good on you, wonderful photos! And family memories- Smiles and hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete