Thursday, July 9, 2009

Crushing Behavior

Yesterday I took Paul to Target to buy some Lego's. He was really excited about getting this new set (not so excited about using his own money to buy it though!). After he picked up his Lego set, I looked down the isle and saw a little girl. I recognized her from Paul's school class. I asked Paul if he knew her. He turned red and very quietly said yes.

It was then that I realized that the little girl was Anika, the girl Paul has a crush on. We had to pass her and her mom, so I told Paul to go and say hi. He was seriously paralyzed. I had to push him to get his legs to move. As we got closer to Anika, he couldn't even look at her. His face was red and he was not acting his normal self.

I told him to say hello and he wouldn't. I finally said hi to Anika. She said hi back as Paul was quickly making his exit.

I asked him why he didn't say hi and he said that he was just too embarrassed.

I have watched many movie scenes where someone becomes paralyzed or act like bumbling idiots when they get near the person they like. I thought that was all for laughs, but it turns out that it really happens with some people. My guess is that Paul doesn't find this to be very funny.

I wonder what makes people react this way when they have a crush on someone. I am still in shock that my 7 year old (soon to be 8) is even aware of girls.

2 comments:

  1. I love the crushes kids get on each other. It is so cute and innocent. My McKaylee has had a crush on someone constant since kindergarten(not always the same boy). I am really going to have to watch her when whe becomes a teenager. It is

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! I think Michael will be super shy like that too.
    We are not going to put our house on the market or do any kind of lease option. At least for now. We're going to try renting once (we're requiring a 6/mo lease) and just see how it goes. Both with renting, the housing market and Grand Junction. We don't want to do anything 'permanent' until we're sure everything will work out.

    ReplyDelete