I enjoy having piano lessons at our house because I become privy to little conversations between my boys and their teacher that I would other wise miss.
Last week Paul was working on sight reading during his lesson. His teacher could tell that Paul was frustrated, so he gave him a little pep talk that went something like, "Paul, don't worry, you are a beginner, so things will take a little longer to learn. Since you are just learning these things, you need to be patient. You are doing great for a beginner."
I couldn't see Paul, but I know the look he gave his teacher. Something of a blank stare, rolling of the eyes and a sigh. His teacher asked if what he just said helped him and Paul quickly said, "No, not really".
Paul delighted me with his simple honesty. I wonder how often adults try to help children with pep talks like that without realizing that it doesn't change the frustration that the kids feel.
No comments:
Post a Comment