Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Infiltrated

I was helping Mark with a book report this weekend. He is giving an oral presentation about the book Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I had him dictate to me what he would say as I typed it out for him to practice.

I had written the names Dumbledore and Voldemort and the spell check said that they were wrong. I ignored the spell check until I realized that Dumbledore had an 'e' at the end and I didn't put it down and Voldemort was with a 'd' instead of a 't'. I fixed the spelling on both names and the spell check recognized them!

I was amazed! Names from Harry Potter have infiltrated their way into the Muggle dictionary! Hermione wasn't recognized along with a handful of other names.

Interestingly, though, the spell check on Blogger doesn't have the names Dumbledore or Voldemort in the dictionary, but it does have Hermione! I was using OpenOffice.

3 comments:

  1. I think I am okay with that...I love Harry Potter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, blogger has spellcheck? Who knew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so funny how Harry Potter has affected our everyday life. I was at Swiss Days and they had a vinyl lettering board with a very profound saying on it. I love it and then read that Dumbledore had said it. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete