Tuesday, January 5, 2010

One Year Older

Yesterday was Daniel’s birthday.  I really did have plans to write this post yesterday, but I wasn’t feeling great so it didn’t happen. 

I am sharing what Daniel’s mom wrote in his birthday card (hope you don’t mind, Mom).  It said: 
“Happy Birthday Dan!  Was it really 37 years ago?  It seams like yesterday and it seems like forever at the same time.
Do you remember that you were a snowstorm baby?  Dad and I did not have a car when you were born but we lived just a few blocks from Utah Valley hospital so we walked.  It was a memorable occasion.”

Daniel’s dad was going to BYU and they were having their 4th child.

 *UPDATE:*
Daniel's dad just emailed this to me:

Here is the rest of the story. We were going to have Dan at home, but the Bishop found out and said no you are not. When Janet went into labor, we lived about five blocks from the hospital and there was about 6 inches of snow on the side walks, as best I can recall, it was still snowing and blowing a blizzard. I had to hold Janet up and keep her from slipping all the way to the hospital. When Dan was born the cord was wrapped around his neck two or three times. I would probably not have been able to handle the situation. We were blessed and watched over. Love, Dad.

I cannot even fathom walking to the hospital while in labor.  I’m just super spoiled.  I guess that I’d rather walk than ride a bike or deliver at home.  Stories like this make me appreciate and admire my mother-in-law more and more. 
We didn’t do anything terribly special for Daniel’s birthday.  He requested NO cake, as we have had too many sweets around here lately.  We had scones with chili for dinner.  I took a few scones and put powdered sugar on them (the boys call them ‘sconuts’) and put some candles on them.  We sang to him and he opened the gift that he bought for himself (a 5 pound jar of Jelly Belly jelly beans). 
I felt weird not doing anything for him, I know that he didn’t care, but still, I didn’t have a gift for him.  I was playing the piano after dinner and he requested a few songs for me to play.  He rested on the couch and I played his favorite songs.  It was a cool way to give him something. 
Seth felt badly that he hadn’t given Daniel a gift, so he went into his room and put together a package for his dad.  He gave him two stuffed dogs (one was his Snoopy), two markers, a pencil, a pen and three marbles.  Daniel was so gracious and sweet with Seth for his gift! 
Gift giving is not a huge deal around here and it is a good thing as this time of year could get tricky at our house if it was a big deal.  We have Christmas, and then two weeks later it is Daniel’s birthday.  Two weeks after that it is our wedding anniversary and then about two weeks later it is Valentine’s Day. 
One of these days I’ll write about our first Valentines Day together.  This holiday still frightens Daniel!   
Daniel realized that he is getting close to 40 years old.  He realized that when our baby graduates from high school, he will be 55 years old!  That seems so far away! 
I asked Daniel repeatedly if he wanted to do anything special for his birthday and he said that he really didn’t care to do anything- not even go out for dinner.  I guess that a non-eventful birthday is far better than a catastrophic one. 
Eventful or not, however, the years still add up!

4 comments:

  1. I had to laugh when you said he didn't want a cake because you have had too many sweets, and then you said he got himself a 5 pound jar of Jelly Bellys. Something's not quite adding up there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even think about what Shelley's comment until I read it. That's true! Oh well, if he'd rather Jelly Bellys than cake and ice cream, that's fine. He may even find a cake and ice cream flavor mixed somewhere in with the vomit and feces (I don't know that this one has been created yet...but probably will be) flavors. Have you ever smelled the buttered popcorn one? It seriously smells like newborn baby poo. Smell it! You'll see....
    Well, Happy Birthday Daniel! I hope 37 treats you great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed to myself when I wrote that line about too many sweets. I made a dessert and he had a dessert to open. Oh well. The nice thing about the Jelly Belly's is that you can only eat one at a time for the most part. (I can't imagine just grabbing a handful and eating them at the same time)

    No ice cream and cake flavors, but several yummy ones like lemon, tangerine and cinnamon. The buttered popcorn ones are nasty. I was trying to get a root beer one and wound up with cappuccino jelly bean three times. I had to spit them out. People seriously drink stuff that tastes like that? Bleh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HATE the buttered popcorn ones! They fit in the catagory of "ear wax" and "vomit" flavor.

    Sorry, hope that didn't make your pregnant stomach turn:-)

    ReplyDelete