Sunday, January 10, 2010

Journals

I have been looking into different companies to print my blog into a book.  I am frustrated with what I have found so far as I want more control over the layout of the pages.  This project started me thinking about the pages that I have written before I started blogging.  I thought that I should print them, too. 

Starting October 2001, I sent out nearly weekly email’s of what had been going on that week to Daniel’s parents to keep them updated on how the boys were growing (Mark was 22 months and Paul was 6 months old).  I used those emails titled “Taylor Times” as my source of journaling. 

I use to write in my journal every night while in high school and college.  But, after a particularly difficult breakup with a boyfriend, I stopped writing for a while.  My journal picks up with having met Daniel and the entries were spotty at best until the last entry titled “I’m getting married tomorrow!” 

Writing in my journal at night didn’t fit into our routine as a married couple, so I let it slide.  After Paul was born, I realized that I needed to journal again, but my wrists hurt so badly when I wrote that I didn’t write.  Typing was easier, so I started the emails.  I figured that if someone was expecting an entry, it would be more likely to happen. 

So, back to this weekend.  I was taking all of the email entries that I had saved on a document and put them all together onto one document.  I am frustrated because I can’t find my back up cd of 2001-2006.   Before we moved to Georgia, I made a paper copy of all of the entries as well as a cd.  I didn’t print out any of the entries from 2005- 06, my computer crashed and I hadn’t made a back up. 

I am going to my parent’s house to see what they have saved on their email account.  Hopefully I can recover some of the entries. 

I have been looking through the print outs, trying to decide what to do with them.  I have several options.  I can put them in page protectors, scan them, or retype them.  I’m not happy with any of the options, but I am very grateful that I have a paper back up of these entries. 

Paul has had fun reading about when he was a baby.  I have had fun reading about life with two young boys and I’ve shed a few tears reading about my journey with postpartum depression.

I mentioned that I didn’t journal much when I was engaged.  My friend Larissa, gave me an awesome gift on my 30th birthday.  She took all of the audio tapes that I sent to her while she was serving a mission in Bulgaria and transcribed them so that I had a book of the thoughts that I related to her.   I met and married Daniel while she was on her mission.  I wrote to her a lot and sent her 5 or 6 tapes.  When I had mentioned to her years ago that I wish that I had written in my journal more during that period of time, she graciously (and secretively)   put together the book with all of my thoughts  and opinions of Daniel and marriage that I sent to her on tape and letters.  I had no idea that  I said so much to her!  It was such an awesome gift to receive!

I’m glad that I have been able to keep up with journaling.  It really is therapeutic.  Blogging has been fun because I have had more interaction with my writings.   

Here’s to another decade of digital journaling!  (Please make sure to back up your journals!)

3 comments:

  1. I sure hope you get it figured out! I hate when things like that happen. I have my blog entries saved in 3 places...just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about taking them to a place that will scan them for you and save them to a disk? They may even be able to make them into a book for you. I know it will cost money, but depending on the amount it may be worth your time. I need to do a lot better about writing in my journal. I found my journal the other day and the last time I wrote was about the time Lindsay was born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.lulu.com
    First I had a link about publishing your blog on my dashboard once upon a time but also this lulu.com is one I have heard of people using!

    ReplyDelete