I got a phone call from my doctors office today informing me that I failed my 1-hour glucose test. I am supposed to call and schedule a 3-hour test tomorrow and I really, REALLY don't want to to it. I took a glucose tolerance test when I was 15 and I got so sick. I really can't imagine how sick I will be doing this while pregnant. I will have to fast for 12 hours, drink the glucose stuff and have my blood tested every three hours. That is 15 hours with only a bunch of sugar in my system. I got shaky and couldn't concentrate at the 45 minute mark of the 1-hour test.
I am really frustrated. I know that gestational diabetes is serious, so I need to find out if I have it and make sure that I keep the blood sugar levels in check. But I really don't want to take the test. I KNOW that I will be sick for a few days after the test. Heck, I can't handle eating a meal late, yet alone skipping one (or two).
I cried when the nurse told me the results. I am going to call and ask tomorrow if there is any other option to diagnosing GD. I seriously cannot handle more food restrictions than I already have.
I'm so sorry. Those things are awful. I puked all that nasty orange stuff up after the 1-hour test when I was pregnant. It is really not a very nice thing to do to pregnant ladies who already don't feel good!
ReplyDeleteGood luck, I hope they can find another way to test you for GD. That's not fun, I'm sorry you've had to go through it. I can't imagine being told you can't eat during pregnancy! Eating is the only way to keep you from getting sick sometimes during pregnancy. Oh, good luck! Let us know how it goes. P.S. I haven't forgotten about you with the boxes. I just got another Avon shipment and thought I'd have a few more to bring so I've just waited. I'll bring them over soon. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. That really sucks. I hate those stupid glucose tests. I hope you pass the next one with flying colors!
ReplyDeleteI hate those tests. I can't keep that orange stuff down either. I complained to the nurse and she let me off without having to take it again, since everything else looked pretty good. If all else fails, BEG! :)
ReplyDeleteHow did the 1 hour test affect you? Did it make you sick to drink it? If you had the orange and didn't like it ask for the fruit punch flavor. I think it tastes better. I've had to do the three hour with all three of my pregnancies and each one affected me differently. With Lindsay it wasn't too bad until the very end when I got a little light headed. With Mark it made me a little sick, but mostly because there were several people that came in who smoked and it seemed like my sense of smell was more sensitive. With Alison I got a little sick to my stomach. Having GD is not fun (had it with the girls, but Mark was my 10 pounder). But it's not the end of the world either. I'm sure Kim could agree with me. I have a glucose montitor if you want to test for a few days to see what your sugars are. I'm sure by testing like you would if you had the GD you might be able to tell if your sugars are too high. Good luck with the test. Call me if you need any moral support. I'm hear for you.
ReplyDeleteMake sure you schedule it for the morning time. It's WAY easier to fast when you are sleeping through most of it.:-) Good luck. I hope they can find another way to test you that won't make you too sick.
ReplyDeleteHey Sherron, have you asked your Doc why you have to have the test? Do you have any risk factors, have you had GD before? I would do some of your own research before doing the 3 hour test, just my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!