Friday, April 16, 2010

Kennecott Copper Mine

We went to the Kennecott Copper Mine on Thursday.  I haven't been since I was a little girl, so I don't remember much about the mine, but I knew that the boys would enjoy it.  The mine is an open pit mine, so we drive up to the top of the mountain and get to view the mine pit from the top.  The open pit mine was used instead of the underground mine to increase efficiency and to eliminate dangers.

I absolutely love looking at the mountains that surround this mine.  The variety of colors is beautiful.  The mine is only about 15 minutes away from my house.  We had a great time with the Payne family viewing the man-made wonder.  You can see the mine from space!  (the mine is about 2 3/4 miles across and 3/4 miles deep)
Paul, Mark, Seth, Sherron
This tire is the only thing I remember about the mines.  The tire is huge and then when you see the trucks that go on these tires, it is amazing.  There was a semi truck following a big truck and the semi looked like a tiny little pickup truck compared to the big truck!  The trucks are bigger than most houses!  It is amazing how tiny the trucks look from the observation deck, though.

 
Mark, Seth, Caleb, Taylor, Jacob and Paul


Emily, Grace, Jacob, Caleb, Taylor Payne
The is about a dozen or so of the big trucks parked along the right side of the picture.


We spent a good amount of time in the museum and gift shop.  There was a 16 minute movie about the process of turning ore into copper and how the mine operates that I really enjoyed.

Seth was a little bit disappointed that he didn't get to see through the binoculars that are on the observation deck.  I didn't know that he didn't get a chance.  Daniel told him that maybe we could go up there again when Jane is older and he can be a helpful big brother and show her around.  He really liked that idea.

 Seth, Sherron, Mark, Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment