Friday, April 2, 2010

So Tired

I have been so exhausted this past week.  I seriously have a difficult time staying awake for longer than 3 hours at a time during the day.  This exhaustion is seriously interfering with my parenting.

On Tuesday Mark and Paul left for the bus at 8:20.  I sat down on the couch upstairs and leaned my head against the back.  I fell asleep and didn't wake up until 9:10.  Seth was playing the computer downstairs and he was supposed to be at preschool at 9.  I got him to school, came home and took another nap.  I set my alarm so that I wouldn't be late to pick him up.

Wednesday was a weird day for me.  Daniel has been sick and has been working long hours for work, so I knew that I for sure needed to get up with the boys in the morning.  When I came to and looked at the clock, it was 8:55 in the morning.  I jolted out of bed to find Seth sitting in the living room playing with the dolls I have been making and Mark and Paul's backpacks and coats gone.

Mark and Paul got ready for school all by themselves.  They ate breakfast and cleaned up, brushed their teeth, and got off to the bus on time.  Paul even emptied the dishwasher!  I was a bit surprised, yet relieved.  One part of me feels very proud that they were able to be responsible enough to get ready without parental supervision.  The other part of me feels extremely guilty because I wasn't there to see them off to school.  I always want to be available to them when they are coming and going, and I failed.

They got out of school early for Spring Break, and I had them keep track of the time so that they wouldn't be late for scouts.  The thing is, is that I knew that they didn't have scouts that day, but my brain was wired to send them to scouts on Wednesday, so I did.  (Sorry for sending Mark to your house Shelley!)

Thursday was an auspicious beginning to a 3 week break.  The boys were so cranky!  I thought that if this is the way this off-track time is going to be that we are all in a lot of trouble.  Daniel took them over to Uncle Ben's house to play with their cousins.  They did a 180 and were supper happy and fun to be around. 

All three boys spent the night at Ben's house last night.  Daniel and I went shopping together and stayed up until midnight talking.  I knew that I could sleep in, so it wasn't a big deal to stay up late.  Well, I woke up at 5 a.m. and couldn't fall back asleep!  I was able to get all of my old journal entries put into a blog to print!  I finally finished!  I went back to sleep around 7:30 and woke up at 10.    It is nearing noon, so I need to go get the boys.

I feel like I am having a difficult time thinking and concentrating.  The last few posts I have written have been rather random and I think that it is because I can't form two coherent thoughts together.  I attribute that to my exhaustion! 

 

4 comments:

  1. No worries! I just felt bad that he had to ride his bike over here in the snow! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know I blog stalk you? I had to say, you said, "I always want to be available to them when they are coming and going, and I failed" you did NOT fail. You were there for them. They knew they could wake you up if they needed anything. Thankfully, they know how to help themselves. The time comes before you are ready that they NEED to do stuff without you, if they don't you will always be running them gym clothes when they forget, or taking forgotten homework to school. This tired thing is temporary but life lessons of responsibility last forever. Try not to be to hard on yourself. You are a great mom. (and they won't remember that you didn't get up once or twice)
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to the previous comments!

    You are fine and taking care of Jane as you need to do. I remember being in a bit of a similar time and asked the doctor what was wrong with me. He just said, "you are pregnant" as though that took care of all concerns. Hang in there, it looks to us like you are doing very well in managing and caring for all your family. Kids and Dan, too! And remembering to care for your own health on top of all that. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the hardest things about pregnancy huh?!? It stinks because once the baby comes you are already physically spent. I am glad your boys are so well trained that they can help you out in this time of need. You should feel proud that you raised such great kids. Erase all those feelings of guilt right now! You are a great Mom.

    ReplyDelete