Jane is almost 9 pounds and she has grown almost an inch since she was born. That puts her in-between newborn size and 0-3 month size clothes and diapers. We are in-between the stage of her trying to figure out day and night (she is doing well, but staying awake for 2 hours in the middle of the night is tiring!) We still can't figure out what color her eyes are going to be. Some days they look brown and others they look blue. Seth still thinks that she should have green eyes like me!
Mark, Paul and Seth are in-between school years. Tomorrow is their last day of school. They have 6 weeks off and then they start their new year. Seth is excited to start school. He is really in-between that older toddler stage and a little boy stage. I know that he is nearly 6, but I still view him as an older toddler. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do. He will be doing a lot of growing up in the next few months.
All of the TV shows that I have been watching (on Hulu.com) are in-between seasons.
Even the weather is in an in-between stage. One day it is hot, the next it is cold and rainy, then it is hot again. It is like the weather is trying to adjust to the idea of becoming summer. I'm okay with the cooler weather, but the boys really want to put the swimming pool up, and it needs to be warmer for that to happen.
With all of the changes and transitions going on right now, I feel kind of lost and anxious to meet milestones I have set. I read a quote from Fred Rogers' book titled Life's Journeys according to Mr. Rogers that helped me a lot.
I saw a friend who's a freelance writer and asked him what he was working on. "Nothing right now," he answered. "You know how it is for freelancers. But at times like this I tell myself I'm "between opportunities". That way I don't have to feel I'm nowhere".
There is often a tendency for us to hurry through transitions. We may feel that these transitions are "nowhere at all" compared to what's gone before or what we anticipate is next to come. But you are somewhere. . . you're "between".
I realized that where I am isn't a black hole, it is a destination and a journey all of its own. I don't know that I can enjoy not fitting into my old pants, but I certainly can enjoy spending time with my newborn, even if it is at 3 in the morning. I can enjoy summer break with the boys.
I have to keep reminding myself to relax and be patient. I love watching Jane sleep. Just look at this little girl. She is so relaxed. (Check out those delicious cheeks!)
Being between stages of life isn't all that bad.

Amen to all of what you said. Love you!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good book that I can put on my reading list.
ReplyDeleteOh she's sweet Sherron! And yes, those cheeks look very chewy. :) I know exactly what you mean about being "in-between". There is a song called 'You're Gonna Miss This' that reminds my mom of me. It's not exactly what you're talking about but it's about always wanting the next stage in life to come so fast that you forget to stop and enjoy the moment. I'm working on that. :) It makes me teary to hear that you love to sit and watch baby Jane sleep. That is one of my favorite "Mommy things" to do. And...I hope to someday do that with my baby girl. :) :) I'm so happy for you!!!
ReplyDelete