Monday, August 2, 2010

Initial Reaction

Saturday night (or rather Sunday morning at 1 a.m.) Daniel got a phone call informing him that his dad had been in a motorcycle accident.  He was in Roosevelt and Life Flight was going to take him to University of Utah hospital.  Daniel had just come home from a movie with his sister Andrea.  She is in town for their brother Chris's wedding on Tuesday.  When we got the news, all we knew was that he was stable, but needed attention that a small hospital couldn't provide.

It would be interesting to ask everyone what their initial reaction was because it may be that no one had the same reaction.  We are all in such different emotional places that our reactions won't necessarily be the same.

When Daniel told me, my first thought and what I said to him was "Oh, your poor Mom".  Janet's mother died on Wednesday of last week (July 28th) and now she has to deal with possibly loosing her husband. 

Andrea's first thought was "I almost went home with him, I could have been on that bike".

Daniel instantly felt sorry for his Dad because of the pain he must be in. 

The beautiful thing about it is that there isn't a right or a wrong way to feel.  We all have the ability to deal with situations differently.      


So here is what I know about Dad's accident.  He hit a deer while riding his motorcycle through Wolf Creek Pass.  His most serious injury is a punctured lung.  He has broken ribs and broke both of his wrists.  He should be having surgery on his wrists today.  So far there hasn't been talk of when he will be released.  He is doing as well as can be expected. 

We are making preparations for the wedding tomorrow.  Last minute changes and such have moved the wedding luncheon to my house.  I have just had to accept that I can't do things to the house that I would prefer to do before hosting a party here (like changing the curtains in the kitchen and cleaning corners and  closets).  It will be all I can do to get the food prepped and furniture moved around. Oh bother! 

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this news. Your place will still look great in spite of your worries and lack of time. I wish I lived closer and or didn't work so I could run over to help you out.

    ReplyDelete