I didn't know that I had been craving this food until I read the recipe and fell in love. A wild, passionate, got to have it type craving. Chocolate and peanut butter quite simply complete each other. I knew that I could easily change it to be dairy-free. I was thrilled that not only did I have all ingredients on hand to make this chocolate peanut butter shake, but that I always have these ingredients on hand. (that is a dangerous quality for something that has been quite addictive the past few days).
This chocolate peanut butter shake is dairy-free, but doesn't use ice cream. Yes, seriously- no ice cream. I have found that the dairy-free ice creams out there are expensive and have weird tastes to them, but I eat them because I love and miss ice cream. Lately, I have been reacting poorly to the dairy-free ice creams I think due to the types of sugars they use or the soy.
This recipe is ridiculously simple to make and uses only 5 ingredients. Here it is in a rough estimation of how I make mine because I don't measure I just dump things in! Don't worry- shakes and smoothies are very forgiving foods! Just taste it and play around with it to make it how you like it. Sometimes I put more cocoa powder in and sometimes more peanut butter (I found this recipe on Thursday and I have made it at least once a day since!). You can use cow milk instead of the almond milk, but rice milk didn't work well. Here is the skeleton:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake (Dairy-free)
about 2 cups of ice cubes
2-3 Tablespoons peanut butter
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
2-3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2-3/4 cup almond milk (enough to cover about 1/2 of the ice)
Blend in the blender until the ice cubes are broken up and the mixture is smooth(ish). You must have a blender that can handle ice well. If you can make smoothies in it, it will work. I use the 'ice cruncher' setting and then the 'liquify' setting.
If I could eat bananas I would definitely shake things up a bit (get it? SHAKE things up? hahaha) and put 1/2 of a banana in it. It would be really smooth and might even bring Elvis back to life just to try it! (Did you know that Elvis liked chocolate-peanut butter-banana mixes? Back in the day I went to a restaurant to get some pie. It was Elvis' birthday, so they had a chocolate-peanut butter-banana pie to celebrate. I was in heaven! It was so delicious. I was really disappointed that they only made it that one day. Boo. But now that I can't eat the banana part or the dairy part, I'm not so disappointed!)
This costs considerably less money than the ice cream version.
Daniel was really skeptical when I told him how I made it. He tried it and then asked if there was any left in the blender for him. Try it and let me know what you think.
thank you for sharing the recipe. I made it and loved it. Tanner thought it was too chocolatey. Karly thought it was too peanut buttery. But by day two Karly had eaten more of it. And Cooper had finished it off. He loved it.
ReplyDeleteI was so inspired that I made my own sorbet for Tanner out of our home grown nectarine's. Tanner helped my by adding extra sugar in the blender. It turned out to be delicious. Everyone loved it.
And I would never had tried to make it without your inspirational recipe. Thanks for being my sister and friend.