Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Things Jane Can Do

Yesterday I realized that Jane is the same age that Mark was when Paul was born.  Yowzer!  I really wish that I had written in my journal when Mark was a baby.  I wish that I had been more diligent with writing about the little things that amazed me with my little babies.  I think that I was just on survival mode though.  I have far more free time now than I did with two little ones.  I started writing weekly emails (the beginning of Taylor Times) when Paul was about 3 months old, so I do have a lot of things recorded that I wouldn't remember now. 

That being said, I wanted to write down some of the things that Jane has been doing lately.

Jane has changed so much in the past few months.  Once she started to walk (run) we have been able to see another side of her personality.  It has been so much fun to see her discover things and to watch her explore.  One of my favorite things to do with kids this age is to go for a walk and let them be the guide.  They scatter about from one thing to the next and it is fun to see what catches their eye. 

Jane continues to amaze me with the things she does. She seems to enjoy patterns and routine.  When she wakes up from her nap, she will grab her binkie and have us hold her up to the shelf to put it away.  She knows to put the diaper in the garbage can after she is changed.  I didn't realize that she would put the diaper away until one day when I changed her clothes and diaper in the living room.  I normally change her in the bedroom, but she took off while I was getting her clothes ready.  I held up the diaper and said "Let's go put this in the garbage".  She took the diaper, and beelined it to her bedroom and put in the garbage.  We had just rearranged the bedroom a few days before so I was really surprised when she knew exactly where to put it.  (We had to rearrange her bedroom because she can reach the light switch from her crib and she discovered it!)

She loves to play with Legos.  She has been putting together little towers with the 1 inch Legos and loves it.  We have a little play kitchen that has a shape sorter.  When you put the little shapes in the hole, you can push a button to make them come out from the 'ice cube dispensor' part of the fridge.  Jane has been delighted with this since she was about 9 months old.  It is amazing to watch her awkwardly cram the little shapes into the hole with her chubby little hands and then push the button to make them come out. 

When she turns the light on in her bedroom, she will look up at the light and say "Mwa ha ha ha ha".  Okay, we have been teaching her to say that because her Uncle David taught the older boys to say it when he was living with us when they were a few years old.  It is just entertaining to see when she chooses to say it!

When we leave the pantry door open, Jane will get something to eat.  She has been really good about not making too big of a mess.  Usually she will grab a box of cereal or crackers, sit on the floor and eat.  She has been known to take the box of animal crackers downstairs with her and leave a Hanzel and Grettle-like trail to the basement.  I am so much calmer now than I was 11 years ago.  I think that it is cute and enjoy the moment instead of getting irritated.  I had her help clean up the 'trail' and she loved it! 
Jane with a box of cereal.  She sometimes gives us this silly smile that scrunches up her little face and it looks so funny! 


I love to listen to her talk.  She will go on and on just jabbering away.  I really wish that I knew what she was trying to say.  It is seriously so much fun to listen to her.  She is so animated. 

Jane is really observant.  She has been helping the boys empty the dishwasher in the mornings.  She will grab things out of the dishwasher and put them away.  She knows where to put her bowls, the tupperware and the lids.  We were all taken back when she put things away, but she loves to be involved and to help out! 

Yesterday while I was eating my lunch, I had to blow on the rice because it was really hot.  I noticed that Jane was blowing everytime I would blow.  I had some rice on a fork ready to share with her and she blew on it before putting it into her mouth! 

It has just been me and Jane at home during the day (Daniel is home, but is working)and it has been strange.  I have been anticipating Seth to come home for lunch, but he is at school all day now.  (He has been loving 1st grade)  Jane has been a pretty good shopping companion, so I am glad for that!  I honestly don't remember having so much fun with a baby before.  I am so glad that I am able to stay home with my little Jane and watch her grow up!

1 comment: