Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Block of the Month

I signed up for a block-of-the-month group with a local quilt shop in Riverton.  The way it works is that you buy the first kit of material for one block and if you bring the finished block to the next class, you get a new kit for the next block for free.  The last class was the weekend of the family camp out, so I had to go buy the new kit.  The lady at the quilt shop told me that they weren't able to get enough of the main fabric in, so we had to make the blocks again using a new main fabric.  Luckily this group started in May, so we only had two completed blocks when this happened.  We have been asked to return the other squares that we made to the store (but personally I'd love to keep them and put them on the back of the quilt)

I got home and started to cut the new fabric to remake the squares.  I'm not loving it.  I really like the original batik print, but I am learning to love the new batik.   Here is the original square with the 'replacement' square.
Original

New square- I wish it had more contrast like the first one

Side by side, I still like the first, but I don't mind the second.  I'm thinking about unpicking it and replacing the purple with green.  Or should I just let it be?

 I opened the kit for July's square and died.  The fabric choice is a bit uncomfortable for me.  They picked a peach batik to go with this and I'm afraid that it doesn't match well at all. 
I really like the new batik, I am adjusting to the change, but the peach?  Really?
A little trip to the fabric store revealed that they are going to add a lighter green in to help balance the peach.  Ewwww.  I haven't finished my June square because I made a wrong cut and I need to wait to buy some more fabric.  It is the mulit-color batik with emerald green and black.  It is really pretty.  I was rather discouraged that the peach was here to stay, so I bought some yellow/orange material and replaced the peach. 
Ahh... that is much better.  See the peach on the left- it just doesn't match the colorway of the rest of the quilt. 
I feel really good about the change and I am glad that I have the confidence to change it around to be what I want.  I will use the yellow/orange for the peach and the emerald green for the light green. This is my first time to do a block-of-the-month group and it is a good challenge for me.  I am already making plans for piecing the back together with the scraps from the squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment