Friday, March 12, 2010

I Passed!

After receiving the news that I had failed my 1-hour glucose test, I was really upset.  I called my doctor and talked to him about my concerns of taking the 3-hour test.  He was very sympathetic about me getting sick.  He said that the 1-hour is just a screening and the 3-hour is diagnostic.  He said that he certainly can't force me to take the test, but without the 3-hour test, he would monitor me more closely just as a precaution (meaning he would treat me as though I did have gestational diabetes with 1 hour non-stress tests and such).  He recognized that I don't fall within many of the risk factors, but that it isn't impossible for me to have gestational diabetes.  He left it completely up to me and told me that he would support my decision.  I really like my doctor. 

I thought about this for a few days.  I looked up information about gestational diabetes.  I pondered more about things.  I remembered a few years ago when I was researching causes for my headaches and I monitored my blood sugar levels for a week or so.  Even when I tried, I couldn't get my levels to go above 130 (I ate 3 pieces of pizza, 2 bread sticks, 16 ounces of root beer, a root beer float with 3 scoops of ice cream and a chocolate pudding cup within 20 minutes and my blood sugar levels went from 80ish to around 130 at the peak).  For my level during the 1-hour test to be 163, I thought could be a significant sign.

I don't take diabetes lightly.  Both my maternal grandparents had diabetes, four of the six of their children have diabetes, my sister and my cousin both had gestational diabetes.  I figured that the test results were either a fluke (lab mistake) or that I did have GD.  I decided to go ahead and take the 3-hour test.

I was prepared for the day to be horrible and have a terrible migraine at the end of it all.  I drank the glucose solution (100 grams of glucose!) and tried to relax.  The waiting room was really uncomfortable for me.  There was a television blaring the morning shows, the receptionists chatting away loudly and I couldn't concentrate on my book (Pride and Prejudice- I love that book!).  I noticed that the office across the hall wasn't open and since the waiting rooms aren't enclosed, I went over to the other office and got away from the noise (and the stinky smoker in the first waiting room).  I carved out my own little corner and read. 

I set my alarm to make sure that I didn't miss my blood draws and things worked out beautifully!  For the bulk of the first hour I felt like I was going to throw up, but after that passed, I felt just fine.  I was pleasantly surprised!  I was able to stay focused on my book and the time passed rather quickly.  I seriously felt better at the end of the 3-hour mark than I did after my 1-hour test. 

The nurse called me this afternoon to tell me that I had passed the test.  My levels were: fasting 76, 1 hour 111, 2 hour 80, 3 hour 79.  I'm kind of frustrated that I spent the morning taking the test, but glad to know with certainty that I don't have GD.  I am grateful that I don't have GD.  I am further grateful that I didn't get super sick from taking the test.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you don't have it as well. I totally agree with you and the diabetes thing, but I have it on my paternal and maternal side! AHHHHH! Your mom and Elaine are the only ones who don't right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Sherron. You passed! Way to get through an awful situation with grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful Sherron! I'm very relieved for you and hope that you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depending on what you had for breakfast and even what you had the day before the one hour could have affected the results. I'm glad you don't have GD and that the test went well for you. Can't wait to meet little Jane!

    ReplyDelete