Monday, June 29, 2009

Horton Hatches an Egg

Today Paul's class performed Horton Hatches an Egg. It was a Reader's Theater, so everyone had a script in hand and they just read their parts. I received an invitation last week, and I wasn't really planning on attending. Sunday night I asked Paul if he had a part in the play and he said yes. I asked what his line was. He told me that he can't remember all of them because Horton has a lot of lines.

He hadn't mentioned this to me at all until the night before! I guess that communication lines need to be pried open around here! I decided that I should go and support my little Horton.

Mrs. Mumford had the kids make their own costumes out of construction paper. She informed them that if something falls off that they are to leave it where it falls and that they are not to pick it up.

Soon after the play started, Horton's nose fell off. Paul left it alone, but he was really upset about it. Then the left ear fell off. He caught it as it was falling and stuck it back on.

Here he is sitting on the nest without his nose. Tanner Beesley is the narrator standing next to Paul.


As the play progressed, the left ear fell off. Paul was really embarrassed. He finished the play looking like this:

Poor kid!

Before the next performance, I helped him tape the nose and ears on better so that he didn't have to worry about them falling off. Things went much smoother the second time around!


He makes a pretty cute Horton, don't you think?

3 comments:

  1. Camille did Horton in Mrs. Mumford's class a couple years ago. I had a 5 day old newborn and wasn't going to go at all. Guilted in to it, I came to discover that her "little part" was the Narrator!! Who reads the entire story!! Can you say "guilt" and "shame"? I'm so glad you went. Those kids are really cute, aren't they? Little actors do such an awesome job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addorable! That looks so fun! I can't wait until Trevan starts doing plays and having parts to perform at school...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting for all of you! He is so cute. I love his humility in not knowing what a large part he had.

    ReplyDelete