Daniel and I met in July and we got married six months to the day of our first date on January 22, 1999. Therefore, we weren’t together for a Valentine’s day until we were married. In fact, I had never been together with someone during the month of February, so I was really excited to have my first romantic Valentine’s day.
Since I hadn’t voiced my expectations, I was really, really disappointed in our first V-day.
Like this year, V-day was on a Sunday. I had put together a candy gram as my gift to Daniel (a bunch of different candy bars on a poster board that I made up silly statements to match the names of the candy bars). It wasn’t a huge gift, but that is what made it perfect, I thought. Five dollars in candy and an hour of my time.
Sunday morning came and we were getting ready for church. We had been asked to speak in church, so we had a few extra things to do get ready. While Daniel was taking a shower, I put the candy gram on the bed. He saw it, thanked me, and then told me that he had forgotten that it was V-day.
Oh, okay.
We went to church and the ladies there were showing off necklaces, rings and other pieces of jewelry from their husbands or talking about the cruise they were going on the next day (we were living in a basement apartment of a very wealthy neighborhood). I was really upset. I didn’t want jewelry, but I thought that a card would have been nice.
After church, I took a nap. I was trying to come to terms with the shattered idea I had for my first ever romantic Valentine’s day. As I rested I realized that all was not lost, we could still make dinner together and then make a dessert, maybe make love in front of the fireplace and have a special, romantic evening together.
When I woke up from my nap, I was excited to present my plan to Daniel. But things didn’t turn out the way I had planned. Daniel was already making dinner (it was probably 5 p.m.). He told me that his parents had called while I was asleep and that they were in town (they live in Vernal which is about 3 hours away) so he invited them over for dinner. They would be over in about 30 minutes.
Seriously?
I was so hurt, but I did what any self-respecting, mature, new bride would do; I told him that I hoped that he and his parents had a lovely Valentine’s dinner together and that I would be home by 10. I grabbed my keys and I was out of the door before he could even respond.
Classy, huh?
I drove around the area while wiping tears from my face. What had I just done? Why didn’t Daniel realize how important this day was to me? To us? I wound up at my Aunt Elaine’s house (I was living there when I met Daniel) and gave her my sob story. I ate dinner there, visited with my cousin, Russell, and then I went home at 10, crawled into bed and went to sleep with nary a word to my husband.
I am so embarrassed about the way that I handled things.
I really needed to communicate better with Daniel. I put him in a very awkward situation. I have no idea what his parent’s thought of me after arriving at our home for dinner and me not being there. We had only been married for 3 weeks and I was unwilling to spend an evening with my in-laws. I treated Daniel horribly wrong. I used such poor and selfish judgment that day.
Daniel came home from work the next day with flowers and a gift for me. He said that he was sorry. To me, Valentine’s day was ruined but I really tried hard to accept his apology.
It took me a long time to get over the disappointment that I had experienced. I think that I will forever feel disappointed in my reaction that day, though.
Our second Valentine’s day together was much better. We talked about our expectations and we planned our date together. I was 5 months pregnant with Mark at that time, so we planned to go swimming (because it felt good, but also because we figured that the swimming pool wouldn’t be crowded like all of the other places around town would be). We came home from swimming and ordered a pizza. We showered and dressed while the pizza was being delivered, and then we ate a lovely pizza dinner by candlelight. It was a perfect, romantic evening!
Swimming and pizza has become a tradition for our V-day celebration. Of course, it isn’t as romantic any more as we usually include the kids in our date (getting a baby sitter isn’t the easiest on that day).
I have learned that communication of expectations is a huge part of a healthy relationship. I am okay with our celebrations being low-key, because we have talked about what we want. I really like our celebrations being low-key.
I am so grateful to Daniel for being patient with me and for being a great husband. Sure, we had things to iron out at first (and still do occasionally), but I am very happy with my husband and my marriage. I honestly wasn’t able to say that 11 V-day’s ago!
However, I think that Valentine’s day still makes Daniel nervous.
I like your low key Valentines-no need to buy into Valentines day and make it something it's not! I don't want flowers or jewelry-but I want a night without him on the computer or watching t.v, unless it's with me, of coarse! Hope you enjoy your 11th V-Day together!(and your reactions to your first, are totally normal for us girls-we are aloud to cause a scene!) -DENISE H
ReplyDeleteYour ideas about expectations is really true. The more we make giant expectations, the harder we fall. I like your story, it reminds me of so many of ours! I think it's our 15th Valentine's day together, and we don't do anything elaborate, never have. Just telling someone you love them should be good enough. :)
ReplyDeleteYou go girl..... Sometimes, if you make a sharp point they get it! A little bit of healthy nervousness is okay to me. :)
ReplyDeleteMy favorite part about your post is it seems like everyone learned a lesson and that, to me, is what marriage is all about. Learning and growing together. Sure, sometimes we pout and don't handle things how we wish we would have, but marriage is about forgiveness too. Forgiving your spouse and yourself.
Thanks for sharing that, I learned something too.
Happy Valentines Day!!!
Your story made me laugh because I think I've done something similar to Dustin when I had high expectations for something. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who looks back and thinks that I didn't handle myself well.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your insight on communicating your expectations with your spouse. Now aren't you glad you learned that the first year you were married so that all the rest of your V-days could be great?!
I love you! That was such a good story, I will have to put that in my memory bank for later. I see a growing trend with your family ending up at aunt elaines when they have a fight with thier hubby!
ReplyDeleteI am just wondering what Aunt Elaine's Valentines Day story turned out to be that year?
ReplyDeleteOh I have handles things the same way a time or two! I remember telling Jack that I would divorce him if I didn't get flowers for our anniversary, ya real mature HUH??!!! I also recall him leaving a few times to cool down, well both of us needed to cool down LOL. After having kids we had a few candle lit dinners, with the kids, they loved it, and it was fun for us. I think as we get older we realize that the flowers and candy are really not what its about. Now I tell Jack, you better not waste money on flowers, how times have changed. :0)
ReplyDeleteThats a funny story! (Maybe not at the time) I wonder if this is a Taylor-guy thing because I know that Sam has been this kind of oblivious about stuff too... :)
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about your reaction. I actually think you handled it alot more nicely than some people would have.
I just realized that Baby Girl is due on about Jesse and Marks birthday. Wouldn't that be funny if she was born on May 21!
Isn't being a newly wed the best!? I remember being disappointed that my husband gave me gum on my first birthday as a married couple. Why did we expect such great things from our new husbands? I'm glad you two stuck it out and have many more Valentines Days ahead of you. :-)
ReplyDelete