Last month Daniel and I decided to cancel our cable TV subscription. We had considered cancelling it a few months ago, but it was going to cost us more money per month because of our bundle deal. That deal expired in March, so we got rid of it then.
I use to be a TV junkie. I would watch HGTV a lot. I would record and watch my favorite shows after the boys went to bed. I was really anxious to see the next installment of Dancing with the Stars, The Biggest Loser, Survivor, Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters. The only reason I decided to get rid of TV was because I can watch all of 'my' shows online.
Since we got rid of the TV line I have only watched my shows on the computer one time. I realized that it wasn't worth my time to look them up and watch them. I don't miss them at all. I have been reading more books and working on my scrap booking. We don't even have basic television, so if I watch anything at all it is a movie. I have been going to bed a lot earlier than I use to because I don't get sucked in watching another show.
The boys were really good about getting rid of cable. That really surprised me because part of the reason we got rid of it was because they were watching a lot of TV. A lot of times I would have to have them turn off the show they were watching because the shows were really obnoxious. They now watch a few movies here and there, but overall they haven't been lamenting over not having cable.
Overall this has been a great experience for our family.
glad to hear it's working for you. We are taking the no cable plunge next month! I am excited!!
ReplyDeleteWe only have the VERY basic cable, (because it makes my internet cheaper), so we really only watch PBS kids shows and I watch American Idol and that's it! I sure get a lot more done without HGTV and the Food Network and all those fun channels. I love learning new things, but it sure sucks time away faster than anything else!
ReplyDeleteI have wanted to get rid of our cable for a long time but... Sam won't go for it! I know that I would get alot more done during the day if I weren't constantly tempted by HGTV. I also don't love the 'kid' shows. There are a few that are okay but not many.
ReplyDeleteAwesome! It's really good for your kids too, sounds like. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteWe took that plunge years ago and we have never regretted it. When we do watch TV it is mostly as a family and a movie that hopefully has good content. There are fun programs and shows but they are so entangled in worldliness that it just isn't worth it. Good for you!!
ReplyDelete