Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ray Bell 1922-2009


Today I went to a dear friend's funeral. Ray Bell just turned 87 years young in April. (He said that it was just the past few years that made him feel old.) He was one of my favorite neighbors growing up. I saw him all of the time in church and walking around the neighborhood on nice evenings. I would visit with Ray and his wife, Virginia, occasionally. I always felt welcome in their home and I was always received with hugs and big smiles.

That is one thing that I loved about Ray. His smile. He was a funny guy, always cracking jokes and telling stories. Sometimes I wasn't sure if he was pulling my leg or not with his wild stories. He served in the Navy for 4 years during World War II and in the Air Force during the Korean War. He retired as a Senior Master Sergeant from the Utah Air National Guard in 1977. (I was a baby when he retired!) These experiences gave him plenty of stories to share.

A lot of people considered him to be their grandpa. He was just the kind of guy to fit the bill. But, strange as it may seem, I never saw him as a grandfather figure, I saw him as a friend. In fact, Virginia introduced me to Ray's war buddy as one of Ray's girlfriends! He was young at heart, he was full of wisdom and humor; great qualities to have in a friend.

I dare say that he is the guy that made me love 'cute little old men'. You know the Pixar short film "Geri's Game" the one with the little old man who plays chess? That is the kind of little old man that I love. Ray was like that but he was a fireball, full of energy and laughs. I know that the past few years have been difficult on his health, but I will always remember him as being, oh, how did he phrase himself one time, "One hell of a guy". (He added, "you can even ask Virginia, she'll tell you!")

My sister, Kim, and I went to the viewing together. I saw pictures of Ray when he was younger. He was a handsome little devil! No wonder he was able to convince Virginia to marry him!

One memory I have from my visits to the Bell's home is of their clocks. Ray brought a Coo coo clock home from Germany and they seemed to keep adding clocks to their collection. He had clocks all over his house inspiring me to call him "Father Time". He had a lot of little clocks on the bookshelves and in the curio cabinet. Normally all of the ticking of clocks would drive me batty, but I loved listening to the tick-tock in the background while we visited.

The last time I visited him I was there for about an hour. He gave me a big hug and his infamous smile when I arrived. About half way through our visit he said to me, "I have a question for you and I hope that I don't offend you with it." I was preparing myself for some embarrassing question about marriage or something so I was completely taken back when he asked, "Who are you?"

Virginia, bless her heart, tried to explain who I was and how he knows me, but he drew a blank. We continued visiting for a while, and then it was time for me to go. Ray apologetically shook my hand and told me to come back again because maybe he will remember me next time and then he gave me a hug.

I never did get back to his house to visit before he died. I know that he was in a lot of pain and struggled with his memory. He was a wonderful man who loved other people. I will always remember the love he showed for his sweet "Ginny". So cute together.

I wish that I had stopped by to visit more often to glean more from this wonderful friend. I know for certain, though, that when I see him again, he will know who I am.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to a wonderful man! Those are truly the important things to write down, aka: blog, for future generations. That's a cute story...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's really awesome. I love "old people" too, because they are naturally kind and funny and spunky! That was great post, you may want to give it to his wife, she might enjoy seeing someone's sweet tribute.

    ReplyDelete