Friday, May 22, 2009

Pizza Pizza

I finally had a decent pizza tonight!

I have been eating a restricted diet since November of last year. I don't eat gluten (wheat), casein (milk) and I have limited my sugars. I feel a lot better while following this diet. I have 'cheated' many times and I pay for it.

My family has been eating pizza for dinner on Friday nights for about 5 years now. I have really struggled with what I should eat for dinner on pizza nights. I have tried to make my own gluten free pizza dough. I have tried gluten free pizza mixes. They have all tasted terrible. Most of the recipes call for eggs and it makes a very rubbery dough or batter. Yuck.

Well, tonight I tried a frozen pizza crust from Kinninnick. It was delicious! I bought the crust a few weeks ago, but I kept forgetting to thaw it in time for dinner. I remembered tonight and I am so glad that I did! It isn't the same as my grilled pizza, but it is the closest I have found!

I thought that pizza without cheese was impossible, but I really don't even miss it! I put spaghetti sauce, spinach and spicy sausage on the pizza and baked it until hot. Then I topped it with guacamole. MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Yummy! I thought about taking a picture of it, but I really didn't want to take a break from my pizza fest! Besides, I got really strange looks from my family when I took a picture of the bread that I made the other day. I haven't had a sandwich for a long time, so I was excited that I finally made a bread that worked for me!

This diet is difficult to maintain, but I feel blessed to find new foods to eat all of the time. I really need to become more adventurous in the kitchen!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats! I'm glad you found something you like. I think I would die without pizza. It saves me from cooking once a week when I just can't handle it anymore! I miss seeing you, BTW, I hope you feel well enough to come to church on Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing to be able to stick to such a strict diet...so much self control! I know I would be in trouble if I had to cut out all that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing!! I don't know if I could do it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete