Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Top Ten

I had a wonderful day with Paul yesterday! He got out of school early because of testing, so I thought that I would take the two hours before Mark got home and do something with Paul. I wasn't sure what to do with him until I went through the stack of papers that he cleaned out of his backpack that morning. He had a paper titled "Top 10 Reasons Why I Love My Mom". This is what he wrote.

10. I love my Mom because she reads me science books.
9. I love my Mom because she helps me make dinner.
8. I love my Mom when she makes me laugh by tickling me.
7. I love my Mom because she taught me how to make pancakes.
6. I love to hear my Mom sing Jingle Bells.
5. I love my Mom because she finds time to go to fun places.
4. I know my Mom cares because she loves me.
3. I know my Mom is smart because she knows how to knit.
2. I love my Mom because she works so hard at taking care of me.
1. I love my Mom because she's the best mom I ever had.
Happy Mother's Day!

After reading number 3, I decided that I would teach him how to knit, because he has been asking me to teach him. I taught myself how to use the round looms to knit a month or so ago and he has been fascinated with it.

I found some colorful yarn that I knew he would love and when he got home, we knitted together! I told him that the first rule of knitting is to get comfortable. After a while, he said that he knew what the real first rule was and that I skipped it. I have now changed my knitting rules for Paul. The new first rule is turn on some music. Second rule is to get comfortable!

Paul caught on very quickly to using the loom. He is making a hat and he is doing a great job! Using a loom to knit is really easy, but he said that he was surprised that he was doing so well so quickly. He looked at me and said, "Mom, you must, like, be the best knitting teacher in the world or something!" What a sweetheart! I will post a picture of his hat when he completes it.

I had a blast sitting on the couch with him and talking while knitting. When I am able to spend one-on-one time with Paul, we have some of the most amazing conversations! This was definately a Top Ten memory with Paul!

4 comments:

  1. That was so sweet. What a good boy you have. So thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the top 10 list...what a cutie. And I like the new blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love that post and I can't wait to have some knitting time with you either. ;) See ya next week (I think Monday will be great!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fun! your new blog is very cute! BTW-I am really going to miss Seth in preschool. He is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete