Friday, May 22, 2009

A Love/Hate Relationship

As a newly opened bottle of superglue oozed out from the tip I remembered how much I dislike superglue because of it's ability to stick to everything but the one thing you are trying to glue. I remembered this ability to stick as I was using my fingers to catch the excess ooze. Doh! I hate superglue, except for when it really does work and it saves the day. I guess that because of the way I use it, I just don't like the 'side effects'.

I seem to have this same love/hate relationship with bleach. I love how clean and white it gets my dish rags. I love how it keeps our swimming pool clean. I love how it gets stains off of the counter top and floor. But I really hate the bleach splatters on my shirts and the woozy feeling I get from the smell of the bleach.

I think that I have this same type of relationship with motherhood. I sometimes envy those who don't have kids because they can be selfish with their time without feeling guilty. I mean, I never thought that I would feel guilty for shutting the door to use the bathroom until I had kids. I hate dealing with the whining and the fighting. I hate the question "Why?" I hate piles of laundry, piles of toys and piles of dishes. I hate poopy underwear and urine sprayed toilets. I hate not being able to sleep in. I hate being the only one who knows where things are. I hate being the mean, yelling mom that I am sometimes.

But, I love all of the other 'side effects' of being a mother. I love hugs and kisses and cuddles. I love the laughter of my children. I love the silly jokes that don't make sence. I love the I love you's. I love seeing my kids accomplish new things. I love being depended on. I love notes with hearts drawn all over them. I love their innocense. I love Mark. I love Paul. I love Seth. I love being a mom.

I started writing this post to tell about the two things I loved and hated at the same time, but as I was writing, I realized that my life is full of things that I don't love all of the time. I really struggle with my diet restrictions. (No gluten, no dairy, limited sugars) I love how much better I feel when I follow the diet, but I don't like how difficult it can be living with wheat and milk eaters or how limited my choices are when I eat out.

Overall, though, I'd have to say that life is good, so I love my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment