Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The 15th Day of December





Last night we opened gift number 15 from under our tree.  Before I explain the events of last night, I'll review what we have done the last week.
Day 7: Chocolate covered pretzels
Day 8: Christmas books (Look and Find books and a "Where's Waldo" type book)
Day 9: Christmas letters to family friends and teachers
Day 10: Christmas activity book (word searches, mazes, etc.)
Day 11: Make cookies (sugar cookies, gingerbread men and gingersnaps)
Day 12: Read How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Day 13: Pencils
Day 14: Christmas books
Day 15: A chocolate orange.

A chocolate orange seemed like a simple enough activity.  I bought the chocolate that is shaped like an orange.  You smash it to break it into slices and then eat it.  However, last night became a whirlwind of commotion.  The first thing to happen was this:

Yes, SuperDad underestimated his strength when he whacked the orange on the table.

I immediately put "order new table top" onto my to-do list.  But the bigger task at hand was how we were going to dispose of this glass.  The rest of the top wasn't broken, but it is 42 inches by 72 inches, minus the shattered corner.


We decided to eat our dessert and go about the clean up process while the boys were getting ready for bed.  The chocolate orange, despite the chaos it caused, was a 'hit'.  I also bought two other chocolates that are dairy free so that I could participate.  The first was a 72% cocoa chocolate with dried raspberries.  It was quite dark, but good.  The second was dark chocolate with chili pepper.  It had a good kick to it!  It won't go down as my all-time favorite chocolates, but it was kind of fun to eat!


Okay, chocolate has been consumed, so we escort the boys out of the kitchen to get ready for bed and we start cleaning up.  I got the vacuum and Daniel got a big box and a hammer.  I watched as our table top exploded into little pieces of glass and tried to get the shards before they fell off of the table.  It was a loud process.  Daniel and I joked that if it had been warmer weather, we would open all of the windows and start yelling while breaking the glass, just to make the neighbors wonder what was going on.  But, we were kind and didn't resolve into yelling...yet.


Daniel took the box out of the kitchen and put it in the garbage that is in the garage.  I noticed that the box wasn't completely sealed on the bottom, so after I cleaned up the kitchen table and floor (and chairs and counter top) I had to follow his trail out to the garage.  As I was headed into the garage, Daniel was filling the mop bucket so that he could mop the floor.  When I finished in the garage, I could hear crying.  It was Seth and he was really upset.  I ran into the house and Daniel was comforting Seth.  I saw glass shards on the kitchen floor, so I had to get back to work. 


A few minutes later, Daniel came into the kitchen while holding Seth and asked me, "Sherron, do you know what this is?"  I looked at Seth and tried not to laugh.    The best way to describe what I saw is through pictures. 
This is what Seth looked like while eating chocolate:




This is what he looked like 10 minutes later:

 Seth had cut his hair!  This is the first time that any of my boys have cut their hair like this.  Paul cut a little bit off of the back once upon a time, but it wasn't terribly noticeable.  Seth cut right down to the scalp!   In 3 places! 

I just cut the boys' hair the day before.  Sadly, I hadn't cut their hair since before I found out I was pregnant.  I am 17 weeks along now.  They have desperately needed a hair cut.  I have trimmed their sideburns  2 times, once before their school pictures and once before their really late birthday pictures.  Now I need to pull everything out again and buzz Seth's head.  At least the vacuum is still out! 
Oh bother!  I guess I'm going to have to reschedule our family pictures, because I do not like the look of a buzz on Seth.

I still don't know why Seth was crying.  I know that Daniel yelled, but not because of the hair issue.  Seth wouldn't tell us where he cut his hair, so I had to do some investigating.  He used the baby nail trimmer scissors that we keep in my bathroom.  He had put them away, but his hair was still on it.  He was really upset and knew that we weren't happy with what he did. 

Mark and Paul just left for the bus, so now I can cut Seth's hair and clean up. 

The bright side to yesterday is that my Avon order came, so now I can paint my toenails purple!  I'm excited!


3 comments:

  1. I am so glad neither of my boys have tried THAT trick yet. Sorry you had such an "eventful" day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sherron! What an eventful night. I'm glad the only casualty was Seth's hair. Thank goodness he's a boy and you can shave his head. I'm not looking forward to the day one of my boys tries that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been so happy to be able to give someone their Avon order...ever. :) I think Seth is so cute, of course, he's not my child so I don;t have to contimplate strangling him.:) Oh well, it's one of those things that we have to laugh at. I'm sure he's still just as cute with a buzzed head!
    You should've put Daniel in a Hulk Hogan cape next to the table. Sorry, it's kinda funny. It's a good thing you had chocolate to help tame the blow a little. :)

    ReplyDelete