Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Train Cake

I use to make special themed birthday cakes for the boys. Now that I live by the mantra of "simplify", I no longer spend hours trying to figure out how to make a cake that never turns out the way I envisioned it.




This picture was taken on Mark's 3rd birthday. He was really excited to have a train birthday cake. My friend, Jenny Updike, came over the night before the party and helped me mix the different frosting colors and frost the cakes. I remember it taking us a long time, but we had a good conversation while working.

Mark was so proud of his train cake. And then...



...I cut it into pieces and put in on plates. He was really upset and looked so down hearted. Poor kid. He wanted to keep the train cake, not eat it. I don't remember if he ate any of the cake at all. Kids never seem to eat much cake, that is one reason why I quit making elaborate cakes.

3 comments:

  1. I love making elaborate cakes...but probably because I enjoy it. I made Carson a race car track one year and he was upset we were going to eat it and not race cars on it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids like me to take a picture, then they want to eat the frosting and throw away the cake. I guess I could just put frosting right on top of the metal pan and the would be happy. :) That is a really cute train cake, though! Poor kid doesn't look to happy that he has to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really cute cake! I can't blame him for being sad that everyone got to eat it!

    ReplyDelete